Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

'53 UB oil filter. Using my last one.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MnBoy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: '53 UB oil filter. Using my last one. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This has been discussed in the past, but not for a while. I am using my last metal canister oil filter on the UB. Want to change oil but not sure I want to shell out $40-85 for a replacement filter. Saw one on eBay for about $100, including shipping. The manual says the original number was KE5905. Anyone found a good, reasonable source for this filter? Thanks.

derwen1959
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: '53 UB oil filter. Using my last one. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is firm in uk that has many thousands of
filters, could be worth a try

rvirgil_KS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: '53 UB oil filter. Using my last one. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I changed my UB several years ago using a Carquest 85011 original style filter. (51011 WIX or 1011 NAPA) The numbers still show to be available but they are a sock filter.

There are also screw on adapters available to convert to a cartridge filter.

MnBoy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: '53 UB oil filter. Using my last one. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have been wasting hours searching the web for the original-style metal canister replacement oil filter for the UB. Many folks have been down this road and it all leads to the same place. Either you go with the "sock-type" filter, which gets mixed reviews, or you get the conversion adapter and use the screw on filters. Nobody makes the original style filters anymore and the few original "dinosaurs" that are still around command "museum prices." Looking for a conversion adapter and a screw on filter that will be inexpensive and available for years to come.

MnBoy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: '53 UB oil filter. Using my last one. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

MnBoy wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:03:08 04/17/21) Have been wasting hours searching the web for the original-style metal canister replacement oil filter for the UB. Many folks have been down this road and it all leads to the same place. Either you go with the "sock-type" filter, which gets mixed reviews, or you get the conversion adapter and use the screw on filters. Nobody makes the original style filters anymore and the few original "dinosaurs" that are still around command "museum prices." Looking for a conversion adapter and a screw on filter that will be inexpensive and available for years to come.

Just to add what I have seen about the adapters: There are a number of them available for the UB on eBay. There are also a number of filters that work with the adapters. The "filter end" of the adapter for the UB is 1 1/8-16 thread. Does anyone know what the other end is? Cannot find this thread size anywhere. I think it is 13/16-16, not sure.

G706
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: '53 UB oil filter. Using my last one. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

At one time Walter's Farm Supply in Verona, Missouri had reproduction filters. I put an adaptor from
MMparts.com on my UTS. It uses a carquest 85791.

derwen1959
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: '53 UB oil filter. Using my last one. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There's a firm in Ireland that make screw on
conversions, so with the firm in Mid Wales who
stock many many thousands of filters you should
get sorted

MnBoy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: '53 UB oil filter. Using my last one. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-derwen1959 wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:09:12 04/18/21) There's a firm in Ireland that make screw on
conversions, so with the firm in Mid Wales who
stock many many thousands of filters you should
get sorted

Thanks for the reply. I think the adapter is the way to go. That way you can use any number of filters that should be easy to find for years to come. It will not be "original" looking, but this is not a show tractor.

Dennis P
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: '53 UB oil filter. Using my last one. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Welters shouldnt, have any problem with supplying you with a filter. I bought the canister style last year for my ZA.

MnBoy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: '53 UB oil filter. Using my last one. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Dennis P wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:11:43 04/18/21) Welters shouldnt, have any problem with supplying you with a filter. I bought the canister style last year for my ZA.

Thanks for the information. I may give them a call if the adapter and screw-on filter option does not meet expectations. Just do not want to be hunting around again if Mr. Welter decides to "call it a day" and retire.

Rich'sToys
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: '53 UB oil filter. Using my last one. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't know if Charlie Biler is still around, but I got my adapter from him a couple years ago. This is one of my UB's. I also have one on my UTS.

MnBoy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: '53 UB oil filter. Using my last one. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rich'sToys wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:28:06 04/18/21)
Don't know if Charlie Biler is still around, but I got my adapter from him a couple years ago. This is one of my UB's. I also have one on my UTS.

Thank you for the input. After checking further and making some calls, it looks like Henry Leasing in Bakersfield, CA has some KE5905-type metal canister oil filters. They have located a manufacturer that makes them and can supply them. I plan on trying them on my UB. Will follow with my observations in a few weeks.

derwen1959
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: '53 UB oil filter. Using my last one. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have tried but unable to send you email

MnBoy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: '53 UB oil filter. Using my last one. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you mean MnBoy, send to: gregcarlson5@gmail.com

Duey C
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: '53 UB oil filter. Using my last one. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rich, those oil filter photos mean a great deal to me! Thank you!
For me and my OLDER tractor, I could modify a canister/housing hold-down nut, silicone it to the top of the filter, paint it semi-gloss black and pretend.
Very interesting.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Minneapolis Moline All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters