Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Super MTA

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ellis Kinney
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Super MTA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you think that a Super MTA that was used heavily in farming and some on road construction would have had the TA replaced at some point? Best guesses is all
that I can ask for. My Uncle gave me the tractor in 1992 and it is still functioning perfectly. Thanks, Ellis

D Slater
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Super MTA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

SMTA and real early 400 used a different bearing without a washer between the rollers and bearing. Only found one still like that before they used a thinner bearing the washer or shield. Won't say I have seen a real great number but enough that I can't guess how many. If I was to bet I would go with replaced or repaired sometime.

fastfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Super MTA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oh i would guess it's been replaced once,i haven't heard of any lasting 67 years, buts it possible if they were adjusted properly ! But cant see a road construction company babying anything !!!

the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Super MTA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have had my MTA since 1990 and she has done many tractor pulls along with some light farming mostly grinding feed planting and baling . The grinding feed cleans out the carbon and puts a glow in the pipe . But never ground feed with the small screen in . That is left for the 806 or the 1066 . No wait yes i did twice when the 706 ate and exhaust valve while grinding with the small screen about a third of the way in the batch . It is on the same T/A that it came with and i have no idea when it was changed , It worked at the sale and i was happy two of the three lights worked , it started on it's own and charged and no bad noises whiole driving , ya just could not stop it . That did not justifie a D Q . I still have most of the T/A's i installed way back in like 84-85 still working The one in my Buddy's 1066 that we have turned way up with a bigger turbo and a 12 MM head on the pump is starting to do the sometimes i'll work and sometimes i'll slip thing . and that one has been in for 30 years or so. Ya know when your making pony power when ya can spin the rims inside the tire And the look on the DMI block man's face when you can pull a turbo tiger with a 1066 when he said it will never happen .

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Super MTA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 350U TA is original 1957. And worked hard all its life. Jim

fastfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Super MTA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well , i am sure yours has been adjusted right too ! I got a friend hes got a 1066, he bales a lot of hay with his,shift up and down for difference in windrow width, he claims his is original too!but haven't seen in 3 years, so maybe its changed,LOL.

wolfman
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Super MTA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Could be original TA. I had a 1959 Farmall 460, used it hard for 42 years, sold it with the original working TA. Not being a powerhouse that TA had a lot of use. That poor old 460 did the plowing, discing, chopping, baling, mowing, picking and hauled the wagons.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Super MTA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mine has the original clutch. It has had an engine sleeve/piston set, no bottom end. It still holds oil pressure of 25 fully warm and low idle. It always hd Rotella 30 in it for the first 40 years, then Diesel Rotella. The clutch and TA have had regular adjustments. Jim

jhncp
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Super MTA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's usually the over-running clutch in the TA that quits working. I replaced one on a 450. Maybe if it was adjusted right it could still be original. There's no such thing as a TA that slips like everyone says. It either works or it don't.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Super MTA Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not a flame!! The direct clutch (small disc and PP at the front of the mechanical TA in small frame tractors) wears and it will wear easily and self destruct if linkage adjustment is not routine) will slip when out of adjustment or thin. This causes the mechanical TA tractor to slow down to TA reduction speed while toasting that small clutch. A hydraulic TA can also slip in a similar manor if application pressure is low, or there is a hemorrhage in the direct clutch, or its discs are worn. So they wont slip to a stop unless the sprag clutch fails. But slip yes. Jim

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters