Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Painting back of

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fastfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Painting back of Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am restoring a No. 60 IHC Plow, the blue and red vintage, the back of the moleboards are blue, i took a 4 inch brush to it,on a hand held grinder, the blue under the crap, looks really good and almost intact, of course its faded! So is it ok to paint over it, or do i have to primer it, first? Thanks!!!

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Painting back of Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-fastfarmall wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:02:29 04/23/21) I am restoring a No. 60 IHC Plow, the blue and red vintage, the back of the moleboards are blue, i took a 4 inch brush to it,on a hand held grinder, the blue under the crap, looks really good and almost intact, of course its faded! So is it ok to paint over it, or do i have to primer it, first? Thanks!!!

You don't need to prime it unless you want the paint to stay on.

fastfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Painting back of Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well put,LOL!

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting back of Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the old paint isn't failing and it's clean and been scuff sanded primer isn't necessary.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting back of Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Stephen Newell wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:02:43 04/24/21) If the old paint isn't failing and it's clean and been scuff sanded primer isn't necessary.

Yes Stephan if you are lucky. I have a tractor here that someone painted over "good" paint without priming. The new paint attacked the old and made it curl up. Makes for a lot of extra work.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Painting back of Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well you are using mostly automotive paint where these guys mostly go with alkyds. Still unless you scuff sand the old paint with too coarse sandpaper the solvents won't normally lift old dry paint.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Painting back of Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Stephen Newell wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:02:37 04/25/21) Well you are using mostly automotive paint where these guys mostly go with alkyds. Still unless you scuff sand the old paint with too coarse sandpaper the solvents won't normally lift old dry paint.

Well Stephen, in that case it looks like you need to tell fastfarmall what he has that he wants to paint over so that it doesn't get lifted and ruin his day.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Paint and Bodywork All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters