Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

How much paint for rims??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
super99
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:08 am    Post subject: How much paint for rims?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm trying to get my Oliver 1550 looking gooder than it was, both front and rear rims, cast grill, name spears on the hood and the panels in the fenders for the lights. I have already painted the dash with a spray can. How much paint will I need to paint rims, grill etc?? I have a quart of Agco Clover white, but I doubt the that's enough. Thanks, Chris

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: How much paint for rims?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I estimate that you have 30 square feet to cover, and a quart should cover 100.

super99
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: How much paint for rims?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry, I should have added the cast rear wheel centers also.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: How much paint for rims?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-super99 wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:29:50 04/24/21) Sorry, I should have added the cast rear wheel centers also.

I was figuring tin one piece rears.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: How much paint for rims?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-super99 wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:29:50 04/24/21) Sorry, I should have added the cast rear wheel centers also.

I was figuring tin one piece rears.

Tgrasher
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: How much paint for rims?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I believe showcrop is correct, your at that point of should you buy a gallon or two more quarts. If you could take the quart back and exchange it for a gallon, you would end up with spare paint for future use with just a little more money.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How much paint for rims?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you are spraying it a quart should be more than enough to paint the rims and grille unless you plan to use more than two coats.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How much paint for rims?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Tgrasher wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:18:06 04/24/21) I believe showcrop is correct, your at that point of should you buy a gallon or two more quarts. If you could take the quart back and exchange it for a gallon, you would end up with spare paint for future use with just a little more money.

My math says that a quart is three times what is needed. I don't see any need for a gallon.

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: How much paint for rims?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I spray rims, I use paint brush and coat rubber with used motor oil. Spray it and immediately use rag and diesel to wipe off rubber. Can use mineral spirits or gas if you are brave and Barney isn't around.
George

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How much paint for rims?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How much paint for rims?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A quart of paint will cover 80-90 square feet. The centers won't add that much.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Paint and Bodywork All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters