Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

M - Generator Bracket

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ncarolinasailor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:19 pm    Post subject: M - Generator Bracket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Putting a stock 6V generator in place. Lower bracket holding the pulley aligned with the one from the pump so I think that is right. The top bracket is the non-adjustable type.

Where does it go from - Thermostat housing (there is blank hole on the back) or the top water pump bolt? In either case there seems to be no way the pump with a new belt (from Steiner)
would stretch enough to allow me to bolt it up that way and it would seem to put the generator too far out to fit under the hood. If it means loosening the pulley to try to allow it to
fit my second question is....

My set screw in the pulley is frozen in place and it is so small I can't find a way to force it out (screwdriver on the end just seems to tear it up).

Could someone post picks of a stock 6v generator installed?

used red MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: M - Generator Bracket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is the best I could find on the net. The generator bracket has to be installed with the mount ears to mount the bottom of the generator sloping down. And yes the top bracket inside end mounts to the thermostat housing.
Poke for image

Ncarolinasailor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: M - Generator Bracket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So I was able to stretch the belt enough to get it all put together and hopefully that belt gives a little once it runs a bit. Now my concern is just how much the generator seems to hang out past the radiator. Is this going to work under the hood? These are all stock parts so I am not sure how else it would go.

Ncarolinasailor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: M - Generator Bracket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: M - Generator Bracket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the lower gen. bracket can be installed upside down , check if this is your problem.

Ncarolinasailor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: M - Generator Bracket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think I figured it out. Looking at other pictures I am not sure this is exactly the right generator. It seems to have slightly different bracket castings and the Arm. and Field connections are further away from the bracket. I got this one off of a parts tractor that didn't have a hood so maybe someone just made this one work. Trying a different one....

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: M - Generator Bracket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

should not matter as it will still fit under the hood, check that bottom bracket. its only a one way thing. and yes that top arm is not
factory.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: M - Generator Bracket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

here you go, bracket must point downward. see generator tucked in nicely.

Ncarolinasailor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: M - Generator Bracket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks! Yep that's how my lower bracket is and since the top brace is the same it has to just be that the front piece is different on this generator. I will take a comparison shot when I take this one off.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: M - Generator Bracket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the generator has to sit right up to the valve cover maybe 1/2 away. that top mount bracket you have is not original and maybe too long
leaving the gen. sticking out past the hood.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: M - Generator Bracket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

also if the belt is as tight as it looks it will wipe out the water pump's bearings in short order.

The front of that generator does not look right to me, and you really need that moveable sheave working. The "set screw" was a round head screw at some point in its life. Drill it out.

Ncarolinasailor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: M - Generator Bracket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BarnyardEngineering wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:41:59 04/27/21) also if the belt is as tight as it looks it will wipe out the water pump's bearings in short order.

The front of that generator does not look right to me, and you really need that moveable sheave working. The "set screw" was a round head screw at some point in its life. Drill it out.

I am with you there. There really is just no way this generator is right.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: M - Generator Bracket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How does the other one fit ?

Ncarolinasailor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: M - Generator Bracket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-rustred wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:31:53 04/27/21) How does the other one fit ?

Being shipped to me but I will update!

Ncarolinasailor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: M - Generator Bracket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So havent put the new one on yet(think its non-functional) but you can see the top bracket mount is much farther over on the replacement than whatever this generator is

meaning far less tension and a closer fit with the top at the same distance.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters