Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

3 point hydraulic trouble

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mmaiani
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:46 pm    Post subject: 3 point hydraulic trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 1953 Row Crop 77 with Hydralectric controls. None of the electric controls have been functional in the years Ive owned the tractor. Ive always used the hand levers with no problems.

Last week, I set out to repair the hydraulic cylinder for the three point because it was leaking so much, I had to add oil each time I used it. When I pulled the cylinder apart , the shaft was super pitted and I opted to put a new cylinder. I went down to North 40 and bought a Delvin brand with 2500 PSI working pressure, and replaced both hydraulic hoses.

With the new parts, the 3 point has virtually no lift capacity on the up side, but slams down so hard on the down side that the front wheels come off the ground. It wont lift my 3 point hay rake off the ground. What am I missing? Thought I was doing something good, but now have an unusable 3 point instead. Thanks for any suggestions.

super99
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: 3 point hydraulic trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you tried switching the hoses from side to side??

Mmaiani
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: 3 point hydraulic trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-super99 wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:20:46 04/24/21) Have you tried switching the hoses from side to side??

I have tried that, with no effect. It just switches which way the lever is pushed to go up or down. I cant find anywhere in my manual if there is a filter or screen for the hydraulics, and cant find one by looking at the tractor. Was also wondering if possibly the new cylinder with 2500 PSI operating pressure requires more pressure than the old tractor can provide. In looking at past forums, Ive seen some say that they will only produce about 1000 PSI. I cant find any lower pressure cylinders on the shelf locally, and am trying to avoid throwing parts at something that wont fix the problem. Just confused because the old leaky cylinder lifted enough weight on the back end that the front wheels would come off the ground. Now I cant lift a 300 lb rake.

greg krush
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: 3 point hydraulic trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

what is the diameter of the new cylinder compared to the old?? sounds like there is not enough pressure to lift much. this
could be either low pressure or lack of volume in the cylinder. with a big enough cylinder even low pressure will lift anything.
another 1/2 inch diameter will make a huge difference.

J. Schwiebert
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 point hydraulic trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you know what the diameter of the old cylinder was? Your new cylinder needs to be the same diameter or larger. If your tractor is a 1953 model it will have a filter. My e-mail is open. Please send me one.

LandonT
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 point hydraulic trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would go through the full cylinder range unloaded several times to bleed it well...

gary66
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 point hydraulic trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

fix it yet?

Mmaiani
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: 3 point hydraulic trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks all. I made a rookie mistake. Replaced a 3 inch cylinder with a new 2 inch cylinder because it was in stock. I now have a new 3 inch cylinder installed and my 3 point has adequate lift again.

J.Wondergem
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 point hydraulic trouble Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for letting us know what it wound up being.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters