Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Case 530 ignition problems. Help!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeffbloomrunner
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Case 530 ignition problems. Help! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a case 530, converted to 12v that has run great for me for over a year, but about two months ago, I started to notice an occasional miss. Chalking it up as the tractor needing a tune up, I purchased all the parts and installed them. Since Ive done that, the miss has persisted to the point that it hardly stays running. Ive replaced the cap, rotor and points, plugs and wires and after finding very faint spark I replaced the coil. There is 12v going into the coil, but its not making it to the plugs consistently. Ive double and triple checked my work, followed all the wires to check for pinches or breaks and cleaned the ground up to ensure good connection, but nothing seems to work. Theres isnt too many places for things to go wrong, and I feel like Ive checked everything. What am I missing?

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 530 ignition problems. Help! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you replace the condenser?? If you did put the old one back in. Now days you stand a 50/50 chance a new condenser is bad right out of the box. Also double check that the point gap stayed where it should be and clean the points with the flap from the box they came in

chuck machinist
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 530 ignition problems. Help! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As Old has stated about the condenser, they dont leave an off a lot of room for that condenser and its location is paramount so that it does not rub on the cam shaft. I had that happen one time. Double check. CM

mEl
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Case 530 ignition problems. Help! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

530s were 12V out of the factory, Positive ground. The lead from the coil to the distributor should have a bright flash with a test light when turning the engine. a weak flash indicates a bad condenser, In other posts I have elaborated on how a condense works in this application. Check the cranking voltage. A weak battery or bad cables are your worse enemy when chasing starting problems. If the system is hooked up negative ground make sure the coil - terminal goes to the distributor terminal stud. Occasionally I have had the condenser terminal at the points screw stick up far enough to contact the steel cover, bend it over to eliminate that possibility, checking the coil tower HV wire with the cover off would show if the condenser lead is shorted. If all is well the coil should throw at least 1/2 inch bright blue spark while cranking.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters