Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

bars leak

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boler76
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:38 am    Post subject: bars leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know some have had good luck with the bars leak rad sealer but what is the opinion on bars leak rear oil seal stop leak? Will it work on rope seal or will it plug pick up screen and the cotter pin leak hole? Thanks

Carlmac 369
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: bars leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is only one way to properly fix leaks.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: bars leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I never use radiator sealant. My opinion is it's like pouring dirt in your radiator. If it plugs up a leak it plugs up the core too. Then if it plugs up the leak you can't depend on it to stay plugged. I either have a radiator shop repair the leak or replace the radiator.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: bars leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It won't plug up anything, it's a totally different concept than cooling system stop leak.

It works by softening and swelling the rubber in a worn, heat baked rubber seal.

So to answer he question, no it will not help a rope rear main seal.

What may help though is to run the oil a little low. Trying to keep it at the full mark can be a futile battle. It will generally seek it's own level about a quart low.

Also be sure the crankcase vent is clean.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: bars leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Miracle Fix in a can is only intended to limp a machine home so it can be properly repaired .
Re-core the rad .

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: bars leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Miracle Fix in a can is only intended to limp a machine home so it can be properly repaired .
Re-core the rad , replace the main seal etc as required .

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: bars leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I try something like that in my 1971 Chevy Vega and all it did was cost me $400 because it made the oil pump relief valve to stick and in turn blow out the oil filter gasket

Michael Soldan
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: bars leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Steve , I use LUKAS oil stop leak and just as you say it softens and swells gaskets and seals and it works great and I have never had a problem. My Mustang kept dripping and I snugged all pan bolts and rocker arm covers , was afraid to tighten further in case they squished out , so I added a dose of Lukas and the dripping ended. I had people say you will be sorry and lots of negative stuff. A company like Lukas has perfected their products and have been around a long time,they are not going to sell a product with a liability issue. On the other hand a rear differential seal is an easy fix, make your own gasket from a file folder, some blue gasket maker and you are good to go.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: bars leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a worn out 01 Silverado I didn't want to spend any money on.

The steering rack was leaking pretty bad, boots torn off, full of grit.

I gave it a dose (kept topping off the pump reservoir) with Lucas PS stop leak.

It stopped the leak!

Sold it to a coworker, he put a lot of hard miles on it, never replaced the rack or did anything but drive it!

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: bars leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You nnamed about the only two brands of cure I will use,had good luck with both.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: bars leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Seal sweller is the only fix it in a can that I will use on equipment. .

ldj
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: bars leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

buickanddeere wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:04:40 05/10/21)

I've used lacquer thinner. Also used in transmissions that wouldn't shift up.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: bars leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ldj wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:16:24 05/10/21)
buickanddeere wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:04:40 05/10/21)

I've used lacquer thinner. Also used in transmissions that wouldn't shift up.

Forgot one . IPA, Isopropyl Alcohol to absorb moisture in fuel.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: bars leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Saying that reminds me of something I had happen to me years ago. The weather guessers had called for a snow storm which we did get. So the day before I had fueled up a couple of the tractors so as to be ready for it. Well when it came the tractors would not run due to water in the new fuel I had just got. I could not get out of my place so I used what I had on hand. I had a couple bottle of rubbing alcohol so poured it in the tanks and in short time the ice blocks in the sediment bowls had melted and the tractors started. That was decades ago and I have never gotten gas from that place ever again

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: bars leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Michael Soldan wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:29:18 05/07/21) Steve , I use LUKAS oil stop leak and just as you say it softens and swells gaskets and seals and it works great and I have never had a problem. My Mustang kept dripping and I snugged all pan bolts and rocker arm covers , was afraid to tighten further in case they squished out , so I added a dose of Lukas and the dripping ended. I had people say you will be sorry and lots of negative stuff. A company like Lukas has perfected their products and have been around a long time,they are not going to sell a product with a liability issue. On the other hand a rear differential seal is an easy fix, make your own gasket from a file folder, some blue gasket maker and you are good to go.

What "liability issue?" There is NO liability with these products, whatsoever!

All they have to do when you say, "Hey your stop leak product didn't work/ruined my engine!" is say, "You used it incorrectly. Not our problem." Case closed.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters