Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

International industrial 2504 or??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
d21smith
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:08 am    Post subject: International industrial 2504 or?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just picked up an industrial international model tractor and was looking for some information it had been sitting for a year and nobody knows any history on it. Got her running but rod bearings are knocking and it's burning oil like crazy I'm wondering is it worth fixing the engine or buying different engine or tractor? The side panels are gone with the emblems the serial number tag.reads

3480-W-Z-FF. So what model is it? Any opinions on fix or find another? Tractor has a reverse in it that would be handy for a loader id think? Thanks for any input

[/img:2571b7b255]

ml44special
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: International industrial 2504 or?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a 2424, which was the same as the 424 for getting engine parts. I would assume your would be like a 504 engine?? Anyway, I did head,
and piston rings in mine and it was cheap. Then sold the tractor for something larger, but it was a great little tractor, just too light in
the rear-end for what I needed.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: International industrial 2504 or?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pretty much every model of tractor IH made before 1967 had that serial number so it could be a Farmall C or a 1206 just going by the serial number alone, LOL. Well, maybe not with the suffixes, but just the number.

It could be a 2504 from the looks of it.

As far as fixing or finding another tractor, if you bought it cheap enough you could go either way. Most likely in this day and age you're not going to find a compatible engine just laying around. It will be in a tractor, so buying another tractor seems to be a foregone conclusion.

DeltaSteve
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: International industrial 2504 or?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Overhaul or not? common question. Ask yourself what the OH would cost? what would a good(yet unknown) tractor cost? Are you OHing it to resell,or to keep and
use? is the rest of the trator sound? will it do the job you need it to do?When I bought my 1256 in 2000,I had to OH it within 6 months. In the next 5 years I
had to rebuild the hydralics,put in a new TA and clutchAlot of money in an old tractor? Yep. Just the hand I was dealt.I call that 'cost of ownership'. But in
the last 15/16 years,I have done nothing but run it into the ground. Yes,I have about$20,000.00(or more) into that tractor,but It's basicly like a 'new' tractor
now. And I figure if I bought a newer 20,000 plus dollar tractor,who is to say I wont do the same thing all over aigain?I have a good tractor,I know what it is.
It does the job. I cant replace it for what I have in it. And,I just like it.

DR. EVIL
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: International industrial 2504 or?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My brother-in-law started farming with a 2404 IH industrial loader tractor. The attached loqder would
lift the rear tires off the ground if you tried lifting something too heavy, a HUGE block of concrete
hung off the 3-pt helped with that. His also had the shuttle shift. The way the loader mounted the
dipstick tube for engine oil was long with a couple bends, the stick had a round flexible spring-like
section to navigate the bends, most big trucks have dipsticks like this. He used the 2404 to run his
auger to fill his drying bin, He gets ready to combine one day and pulls the dipstick on the 2404, and
the short ridgid end breaks off from the flexible part. Trip to town, IH dealer had the pan gasket,
dipstick, and the new tube. He got a filter, had the 5-6 quarts of oil to refill crankcase. He drains and
pulls the pan. There was actually. FOUR dipstick ends in the pan, his one and 3 from a prior owner. He
didn't get much corn combined that afternoon.
He traded the 2404 later that fall for a Gehl skid steer, and bought his usual brand of green tractor
to run the auger.
If you look closely on the right side of the engine, there should be embossed raised numbers above
the oil filter, C135 for the 2404, C152 for the 2504. The good news about them is they were severely
over-built, and withstood lots of abuse and over-loading.

Roger Tomfohrde
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: International industrial 2504 or?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like a 504. Here is the not so good news. Sleeveless block that is more or less special to tractor. Engine could be bored I believe but might not be able to, not sure on that. Engine oil pump is like
those in the c and up style with the aluminum base plate that likes to warp. Rebuilding all depends on what it needs. As far as buying another tractor you may have to repair that one also. That generation is
the first year that had the better steering and hydraulics and three point which was improved as time went on.

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: International industrial 2504 or?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bad bearings might be a very expensive repair(new crank). Burning oil might might be repaired with a hone job and
re-ringing it. Not a bad tractor at all,I had a Farmall 504,and still have an International.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters