Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

IH 350 Utility timing question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lester350u
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: IH 350 Utility timing question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have electronic ignition on this 350u tractor I thought I would try to set timing with light. The block pointer point's to TDC at idle and at high rpm it doesn't change at all unless I rotate distributor by
hand does this sound right or do I have distributor problem or other problems?

used red MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 350 Utility timing question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, your centrifugal advance is stuck. Pull the distributor cap and try to turn the rotor by hand in the direction it rotates which should be clockwise. You should feel it turn a bit against spring pressure and then turn back when released. By your description it probably will not. You will have to pull the plate the points mount to and find out what is wrong with the advance behind it. May be easier to pull the distributor completely out. Just turn the engine so the rotor points to the number one tower for the plug wire. Also mark the housing so you can reinstall it a nearly the same clocking it at now. And did not turn the engine while you have it out.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 350 Utility timing question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the springs ar broken, it may be at full advance internally but timed to TDC. resetting to TDC is easy with a test light. Engine at TDC on #1 according to the pointer on the pulley. With the centrifugal advance correctly operating and installed as it was, attach a grounded test light to the side terminal going to the coil. With the ignition turned on rotate the distributor until the light is stuttering of and on. Shut the ignition off, and tighten the stop bolt. Jim

lester350u
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 350 Utility timing question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So I pulled the distributor and took apart until I got to advance and springs it was a little rusty in there so I Spray cleaned and oiled it and loosen it all up no broke springs put back together no change. I can turn the rotor maybe a quarter of a inch while on tractor doesn't spring back very well. could the springs need replacing and that would fix it?

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 350 Utility timing question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It really needs to be free and snappy. The shaft with the cam/rotor rotates on the drive shaft from the hydraulic pump. that rotating assembly needs to be apart and cleaned/polished/lubed with something like engine assembly grease, and made to snal back clean and easy. Rotation is limited to the advance plate holes where the springs attach. The springs are modest in pulling power, and unless they look rusted and have variable wire thickness from rust are probably OK. it acts like a governor, with the weights turning it toward advance when RPMs go up, and retarding it as they approach stopped engine. Jim

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters