Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Farmall BN that was having loss of power problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kshansen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Farmall BN that was having loss of power problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just a little story about my BN that I was having a problem with loss of power to the point it would quit running for a few seconds then pick up and run again.

This happened a couple times last year and I found the problem to be some small bits of tank sealer that had fallen off and were getting caught in the inlet to the fuel strainer/shut off valve. At that time I managed to pick out the few pieces that appeared to be some small drips that did not adhere to the take when I used the sealer. It ran great the rest of last year and then last week it did it again.

The fuel strainer has a cast in "standpipe" about 7/16 od with a 1/4 inch hole in the center. This time I was able to see with a flash light a nice round flake of this sealer maybe 3/8 round just managing to seal off the top of this "standpipe". As there is no perfect way to be sure I would ever be sure there were no more of these little flecks hidden in the tank I decided to try something to make it impossible for them to cause a problem in the future.

What I came up with is a screen to cover the top of the "standpipe" so there is no nice flat surface for anything to create a seal on top of it. What I used was a piece of screen from a water hose washer with a screen made into it. formed it to a nice fit on the "standpipe" then epoxied it in place. See picture below:

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall BN that was having loss of power problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This should also be a cautionary tale about using tank sealer. Seems more often than not it ends up flaking off and causing more problems than it solves.

If you've got some good stuff that works for you, hey, knock yourself out.

kshansen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall BN that was having loss of power problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BarnyardEngineering wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:30:25 05/06/21) This should also be a cautionary tale about using tank sealer. Seems more often than not it ends up flaking off and causing more problems than it solves.

If you've got some good stuff that works for you, hey, knock yourself out.

Well as the only option I could see was to try and find a "new" tank and hope that it did not start leaking a short time after installing it.

I think the biggest problem with using the sealer, at least the one I used, is getting the tank clean inside. This can be a problem with the internal baffles, can't really see some areas of the inside to know if every point was nice and clean.

SadFarmall
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall BN that was having loss of power problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I like your solution! Looks like it should work well and won't cost a fortune.
SadFarmall

1946 BN IHC
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall BN that was having loss of power problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

your other chose would be to drill out the stand pipe portion and purchase a longer stand pipe. I have seen them listed [ I think at Stiener]
and replace the short original one on the sediment bowel inlet. This would also clear the problem since the inlet would have more surface to
draw in fuel.

kshansen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall BN that was having loss of power problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

SadFarmall wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:14:00 05/06/21) I like your solution! Looks like it should work well and won't cost a fortune.
SadFarmall

Well all this cost was time. Scrounged around and found the piece of screen and had an almost empty tube of marine grade epoxy sitting on shelf.

kshansen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall BN that was having loss of power problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-1946 BN IHC wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:18:11 05/06/21) your other chose would be to drill out the stand pipe portion and purchase a longer stand pipe. I have seen them listed [ I think at Stiener]
and replace the short original one on the sediment bowel inlet. This would also clear the problem since the inlet would have more surface to
draw in fuel.

Actually that was one of the considerations I was thinking about. One idea was to just take a inch or so length of 1/4 in O.D. tubing and drill a bunch of small holes in it and epoxy that into the inlet to the sediment bowl.

While scrounging around I came across this small piece of screen and then used the holes in my drill index as a form to neck it down to a nice fit on the inlet tube. Then slipped it in to place and used a small worm gear hose clamp to crimp it down good and tight.

Then as one more idea I slipped it off and used a 1/2 bolt die to cut some shallow threads in the cast stand pipe to give the epoxy a little extra grip on the stand pipe.

Jim Becker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall BN that was having loss of power problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some people have adapted the gas tank screen from a Model A.
http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=45914

kshansen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall BN that was having loss of power problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jim Becker wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:41:44 05/06/21) Some people have adapted the gas tank screen from a Model A.
http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=45914

Well if my repair ever needs redoing I'll have to remember that one, looks like and excellent idea and easy to adapt. Wonder if the local Ford dealer would have one in stock??

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters