Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Battery cables

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marko63
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:48 am    Post subject: Battery cables Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So I bought a 1940 Allis Chamler B and dont know a lot about it. It
did not have any battery cables and from what I have read the
positive post gets grounded. But where? To what? And the negative
post goes to the starter and through the battery box and body shield
it measures about 42. Am I on the right track? Any help would be
most appreciated...

Aaron SEIA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Battery cables Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If memory serves, the positive grounds to a bolt going through the vertical steering post. I moved mine to one of the battery box bolts. Had trouble making a good ground through that threaded pipe. 42" seems very long for the one down to the starter.
AaronSEIA

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Battery cables Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I put the ground on the screw that holds the starter on. It sure made a difference.

67Chevrolet
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Battery cables Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have 5 of this series of tractor, and all 5 ground to the bolt in the steering support, none have ever given a problem. I put new cables on each when I bought them and cleaned that post real well and 2 of them have been ground there for 30 years and not had to touch the post connections. May be getting close to time for new cables on those 2 as cable insulation gets brittle, but they will go back to the same place on the post.
Im sure the starter would be a good place to ground also, just takes a lot more cable and was not original. My tractors do stay inside so that probably makes a difference.
Just ground to a clean area with good solid clean cables and you shouldnt have a problem.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters