Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

This VAC is driving me nuts.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: This VAC is driving me nuts. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Been trying to get this 1949 VAC back up and running and it is fighting me hard then I am fight it. It will hit and kick the start out and maybe run 2 or 3 seconds then die. Thought it might be the carb so I took the carb off another one I have that runs fine and that didn't help. I'd try pull starting it but that is hard to do your self. I've tried to adjust the timing and that doesn't do it either. Has new points in it gaped at 0.020.

What am I missing??

chuck machinist
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: This VAC is driving me nuts. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I fought a similar issue with the DC . You have one or two issues that you overlooked on the carb. A passage obstructed, or a float not set just right, or a needle not seating completely. One by one , replace , or reset each component. to factory setting. A good drawing of the carb helps . My email is open. I feel your pain. By the way, I replaced the bottom half of my Zenith with a known good one, and the old girl came to life!. I pitched the old one to the trash.Take a breath, and walk away for a day. It will come to you! CM

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: This VAC is driving me nuts. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've switched carbs for another VAC I have and the one I switched with runs just fine with either carb so pretty sure it is not either one of the carbs.

LPakiz
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: This VAC is driving me nuts. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Old,
Couple months ago, my son couldnt make the SC run for more than a few seconds. Seems it would run as long as he held the starter button down, and let the starter whirl. Soon as he let off the starter button, it would quit.
After changing the starter push button, he had wired the the ignition onto the starter side of the starter button, instead of the supply side from the on-off switch. As long as tge starter was energized, so was the coil. Switched the wire, fired right up.
Have you (or a previous owner) moved any wires around lately?

J Hamilton
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: This VAC is driving me nuts. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you tried a different condenser? A known good one, we all know the problems newer ones are. Or swap the distributor out from the other one that runs to see if that's the problem

RJKeith
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: This VAC is driving me nuts. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you pulled the fuel line to make sure you are getting good fuel flow? Had a 300 that had sat a year or so and all sorts of stuff in the tank, fuel cut off, and line kept clogging things up.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: This VAC is driving me nuts. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The condenser is who knows how old as in I have not changed it. I have a good spark that jumps a 1/4 inch gap or more. This has sat a long time as in at least 2 years since I got it and when I got it it had sat a long time.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: This VAC is driving me nuts. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have this one hot wired since the wiring is a mess and once I have it running I'll do the wiring but till it runs I am just using as little as needed to make it run

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: This VAC is driving me nuts. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've been using my 1 quart starter tank since this is a VAC I got a few years back and it had sat and when the rear tire almost got me I had not done anything with it up till now. Good spark tried 2 carbs, and good compression as in around 120 in each cylinder

DKase
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: This VAC is driving me nuts. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Belt it up to another tractor. Works very well when alone.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: This VAC is driving me nuts. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It doesn't have a belt pulley plus I don't have a belt that would be likely to hold up. Funny thing is I had it running the other day but could not let it run long since it didn't have any coolant in it. It now has a full radiator all be it only water but full and I cannot get it to start and run again

John Saeli
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: This VAC is driving me nuts. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It really sounds like timing. However, have you established you have good fuel flow to the carb? Or, is it running the few seconds and flooding?

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: This VAC is driving me nuts. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It fired and dies pretty quick. Kicks the starter out at times. Carb that is on it right now is off another VAC I have and it runs well with either carb. But I do get black smoke when it is trying to run so maybe a bit rich. This thing has sat for years. I did have it running the other day but could not let it run long since the cooling system didn't have anything in it due to a bad lower hose. Got the hose fixed but now it will not start again

John Saeli
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: This VAC is driving me nuts. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are you getting good gas flow to the carb?

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: This VAC is driving me nuts. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes has good gas flow to the carb and the open end of the carb at times shows to much gas. No air cleaner at this time. What gets me is I had it running the other day then fixed the hoses and now will not start again. Have a new cap and rotor I will be putting on when I get back to it

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters