Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Rotary Mower....

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
banjoman09
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Rotary Mower.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you guys have any problem with pulling a 6' rotary mower behind a small Ford tractor? Mowing will be for ditches and pasture- not lawn or finish. Mower with single wheel in back on 3-point. Thanks

Bruce(OR)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Rotary Mower.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Usually not a problem unless tall grass or not paying attention to the back side is wider than the front hood.

Mad Farmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Rotary Mower.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tall thick stuff you're going to be in 1st gear, maybe not full cuts.

5' is the sweet spot for an N

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Rotary Mower.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

5' is the right size rough cut mower for a 9/2/8N.

Yes, a decent one will handle a 6' cutter in some conditions if it is a light weight model, cover is light, and one does not expect to mow quickly.

Dean

banjoman09
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Rotary Mower.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ok and thanks- I found a JD 6' on CL for about 900...says not used much..... pasture is usually about 12 tall= dead grass from last yr and ditches about the same...thanks!

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Rotary Mower.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Define small Ford tractor.
Ns, NAAs, 600s, 800s, 2000s, 3000s are all small Ford tractors.
It is nice to have your implement properly sized for the tractor.
An NAA or 600 will jussst adequately lift and power a 6 foot rotary. An 800 will power it okay but is still light for the job. A 3000 is heavier but lacks the hp of the 800.
I think Mad Farmer nailed it;
5' is the sweet spot for an N

2ruNgineer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Rotary Mower.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You might not like the performance of mating this with a 9N/2N/8N.

John in Mich
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotary Mower.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not knowing what you have, I can only tell you my experience.
I have used a 5' Ford Bush Hog (some call it a chopper) behind my 8N and my Jubilee. For taller and very thick weeds, I had to only use about half of the width or raise the mower and cut a second time.
Both tractors easily handled my Woods RM 600 finish mower for lawn and ocassionally some a little taller grass but had to slow it down.
I ran both tractors in 3rd gear and PTO 540 rpm.
I tried a 7' Woods once. Too much mower. Plus, my yard was layed out for only 6' cut.
I have downsized my acreage and sold the Woods and the Ford hog. I mow my 3 acres of lawn around the house and barn with a new Gravely 5' zero turn. FUN!

banjoman09
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotary Mower.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the input! BJM

Smokeonthewater
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotary Mower.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Something else to consider... my 8n has no problem lifting my 5' hog but DOES have a problem keeping the front sheels on the ground w it lifting if going up or backing down any sort of hill... made trimming around my woods and trails tough any time I need to maneuver w the hog lifted....

A 6'er would need to be built pretty light if you want to carry it any...

Eman85
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotary Mower.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 5' and used it on my 8N but now on my 2600. It's all an N wants and I use an ORC.
No matter what tractor when cutting brush dropping a wheel in a ditch can be a real problem if the cutter swings it can flip the tractor. At the least it will scare you pretty good.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: Rotary Mower.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Adding front weights to your tractor really
does help keep the front wheels on the
ground. You can use wheel weights or add
weights to a bumper.
Photo shows my good friend Dick on my 3000.
The bumper and weights are oem Ford items.
I run a 1200 lb mower on the back of this
thing. Without the front weights it would
be pretty worthless.
I've also learned that with the added
weights I get less scuffing on the lawn
when turning sharp with the finish mower.
Am a big fan of ballast here.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Rotary Mower.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

PS,
Found another photo...
Some say if you get into the thick stuff you can just take half a swath. Obviously, that's not always the case Wink
You Can raise the mower though...

banjoman09
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Rotary Mower.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the pics and the information! Very good.

zuhnc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotary Mower.... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 5' Bush Hog (tm) behind my 8N. Does a good job, but the front does get light at times. Have mowed 3-4 foot tall grass and brush, as well as small trees (mostly cedar) up to about 4 inches. Brambles and other thorny things. When backing into grown-up areas, takes some juggling of brake, clutch and PTO lever. Generally back in, neutral, engage PTO to get slasher up to speed, and then first gear. Do it enough times, gets easier! zuhnc

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters