Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Temp Gauge on a Super AV?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ESVADuke
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Temp Gauge on a Super AV? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I like a little warning before it boils over.
Can I add a temp gauge to a Super AV?
Where would the sensor go?
Run a wire from??

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Temp Gauge on a Super AV? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it had one or can be added it would be down by the radiator on the right side if I remember right. NO wires

Athol Carr
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Temp Gauge on a Super AV? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it was a kerosene or distillate tractor there would be a temperature probe in the water inlet at bottom of left side of engine. The gauge was mounted above the governor housing, check manual should show the option for the kerosene/distillate tractors.

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Temp Gauge on a Super AV? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you think you have a heating problem it is probably because the block is
plugged at the bottom near where the sleeves are the holes are about the size
of a nickle and they get plugged with junk and the coolant cannot flow down an
into the radiator therefor making the engine hotter than normal making noises
when engine is shut off. Removing the radiator and lower outlet from the block
uwsing compressed air and a stiff wire those holes can be cleaned and flushout
the junk. Replacing the sleeves in those engines you will find junk deep in
that area plugging those holes

ESVADuke
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Temp Gauge on a Super AV? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This tractor never had one, it is gasoline powered, and I didn't see a good illustration of where one goes for Kerosine or distillate.

Looks like she'll be going in the shop next winter for a cleanout.

I'd still like to try to add a gauge, gives me peace of mind knowing she's not cooking.

MtMan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Temp Gauge on a Super AV? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What year is your tractor. I have a 1950 Super A and it has a temperature gauge. It's hard to see from the seat because it's up
quite high near the top part of the radiator under the hood. It works and mine never boils over even running hard for a couple of
hours.

ESVADuke
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Temp Gauge on a Super AV? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-MtMan wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:24:09 05/12/21) What year is your tractor. I have a 1950 Super A and it has a temperature gauge. It's hard to see from the seat because it's up
quite high near the top part of the radiator under the hood. It works and mine never boils over even running hard for a couple of
hours.

its a 1948 super av
the manual says temp gauges only on Kerosine and Distillate fuel tractors. Can you post a picture of the sensor location on yours? I'm hoping there is a plug in a hole I can use on mine.

n9lhm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Temp Gauge on a Super AV? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The kerosene tractors had a hole drilled in the flat in the lower water elbow going into the engine. With a gas tractor, if you don't block the radiator, and the radiator is doing it's job and removing heat from the coolant, the gauge will never show anything. I drilled my upper water elbow on my A and put the water temp gauge sensor there, it does indicate and shows how the engine is warming up. With my thermosyphon system the gauge gets up to the border between run and hot when it's working under load.

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Temp Gauge on a Super AV? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Temp guages were an option. Is there a pipe plug on the head towards the front that would be a great place. First you should
drain the coolant and fill with vinegar and run it for a couple of days the flush system then procede with your guage

ESVADuke
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Temp Gauge on a Super AV? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-gene bender wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:10:34 05/15/21) Temp guages were an option. Is there a pipe plug on the head towards the front that would be a great place. First you should
drain the coolant and fill with vinegar and run it for a couple of days the flush system then procede with your guage

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters