Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Standby Power Generation the N Tractor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grhuck
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Standby Power Generation the N Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Has anyone on here used there Ford N series for pulling a power take off generator for home/farm standby power backup?

I'm wondering how well it would pull a 10K AC gen @ the normal 115Volts/60Hz, for several hours at a time.

Any of y'all have any experience with that?

duey
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Standby Power Generation the N Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not my area of knowledge.... but it seems an INVERTER Generator would be the most likely candidate... Otherwise, the Hertz output is RPM sensitive and 'N' governors are notoriously lazy. Inverter generators are not RPM specific. My vote would be to find a good used conventional generator of a size to support your needs. There are a number of *other* considerations for adding Standby Power...

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Standby Power Generation the N Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good topic gehuck.
I have thought about those before.
I bid on one at an auction a couple of years ago. It was a 16 kw which my tractor could power. It sold for well above my pay grade but I still think about them now and then.
You might ask this on Tractor Talk or Tool Talk boards here on YT.
Much larger knowledge base and readership there. I for one would be interested in their replys.

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Standby Power Generation the N Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A close friend was raised on a tobacco farm in Brunswick Co VA. In the summer, they would use the tractor to pump water out of the farm pond to irrigate the tobacco. At night. As the youngest kid on the place, his job was to sit in the tractor seat all night watching the oil pressure and water temp gauges. Because it was cheaper to have the kid watch the gauges than to install cut-off switches for low oil pressure or overheating coolant.

The moral of the story is if you plan to use the tractor as a stationary engine, install the cut-off switches.
75 Tips

grhuck
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Standby Power Generation the N Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Bruce (VA) wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:26:42 05/13/21) A close friend was raised on a tobacco farm in Brunswick Co VA. In the summer, they would use the tractor to pump water out of the farm pond to irrigate the tobacco. At night. As the youngest kid on the place, his job was to sit in the tractor seat all night watching the oil pressure and water temp gauges. Because it was cheaper to have the kid watch the gauges than to install cut-off switches for low oil pressure or overheating coolant.

The moral of the story is if you plan to use the tractor as a stationary engine, install the cut-off switches.
75 Tips

My neighbor who used to dairy farm before turning his place into a golf course would use his old JD 4020 to pump water from the river into his his slurry pond on then into traveling irrigation rigs. They would do this all day and into the night sometimes, that 4020 down in that bottom all by itself and the old machine could easily be graded as rough.

I asked him once what would happed if the coolant hose ruptered or it lost oil pressure etc. He said, "it's a tractor and she will have died doin' what she loved". So, this, plus I'd rather rebuild another engine than to have another child.

The greenhouse in my area has a small late model John Deere probably 50hp. He pulls a generator with it in the spring for stuff in the hothouse and for standby power. It's a bigger tractor than an N of course and he pulls a bigger gen than I would but he says he sets the rpm for 540 pto speed and the volts and cycles fall right in place. I'm sure the gens now days have some built in load banking and trimming for the kind of engine governing you'd see on a row crop tractor. My goal would be to find a gen with that kind of ease of use but not too big for an N engine.

Smokeonthewater
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Standby Power Generation the N Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Also keep in mind... while these generators may be fine for lights and fans, running modern appliances and electronics w them could cost ya dearly when the volts or hertz get out of whack... not to mention whether it's 'clean' or 'dirty' power

zuhnc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Standby Power Generation the N Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Any PTO generator will produce power indistinguishable from commercial power as to waveform. No "clean" or "dirty". As long as the frequency is within a range of 62-58Hz, and voltage is 120/240 +/- 10%, and is fairly steady, there will be no issues running any equipment.
Modern electronics use a switching power supply - converts whatever AC is incoming to the proper output voltage electronically, and doesn't really care about what the input source looks like.
As has been mentioned, the only issue is correct governing by the prime mover - generator output has to be kept between 58-62Hz, and the prime mover should take care of that, depending on load. The N's probably aren't a good choice for this application, unless your loads are stable; i.e, no motors turning on or off frequently, etc. Lighting doesn't care how stable the generator output is (unless you are over voltage by a good bit. zuhnc

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters