Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Next noob question...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hogluvr
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:12 pm    Post subject: Next noob question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So I bought a '49 8N that barely ran, PO said it needed carb work and was running on choke. Did a compression check and had nothing on #3. Thanks to the wise and helpful people on this forum it turned out to be a stuck lifter. After days if soaking finally freed it up, doesn't want to start at all now. Figured the next step was rebuilding the leaking carb, and after further investigation he was not only running the wrong plugs but had 2 of the spark plug wires crossed. Fixed everything, still won't start. There is a tiny hole in the bottom of the carb eith what looks like a jet, gas is leaking out like a sieve! Can anyone tell me what's going on with that? Temporarily plugged it so carb would fill with gas but still nothing, not even a fart. So now I have good compression on all 4 cylinders, have spark, should be firing in right order now and still nothing? I'm still suspecting the carb at the moment, cranked and cranked to the point she should have been flooded, pulled a couple of plugs and neither smelled like gas (I've got old Harleus, been through this ritual before). Any ideas??

warbaby
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Next noob question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check that #1 is on compression when #1 plug fires- your distributor could be 180 degrees off.

Sounds like you have a missing bowl drain!

hogluvr
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Next noob question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

From that pic it looks like the jet under the power valve?

Smokeonthewater
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Next noob question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's not a jet, that's a drain... your float is stuck open

I don't believe a 49 distributor CAN be 180 out... it indexes into the end of the cam w I'm pretty sure, an offset slot

Smokeonthewater
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Next noob question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BTW.... fwiw, I bought a new aftermarket carb on amazon for $22 shipped and it runs absolutely perfect

Smokeonthewater
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Next noob question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not sure what you're calling a 'power valve'

When I replied I figured you were talking about the "sintered strainer lower body drain" in the pic

hogluvr
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Next noob question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Smokeonthewater wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:10:56 05/13/21) BTW.... fwiw, I bought a new aftermarket carb on amazon for $22 shipped and it runs absolutely perfect

It looks like jet at the bottom of the carb, can't believe if there's more than a quarter inch of gas in the bowl it drains.

Yeah I saw your other post on the carb, have a link? Been dealing with these Chinese knock-offs on my kids' dirt bikes and my quad, might as well just burn your money so I gave up on going that route 🙄

hogluvr
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Next noob question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The blue line in your pic, except it's angled the other way. Threaded hole with something that looks like a jet in there, except no way to get it out, no slot or anything on top?

Smokeonthewater
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Next noob question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Still don't know what you mean.... is the part you're talking about labeled in the pic?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08PPM526N?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Smokeonthewater
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Next noob question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like the price went up since I bought it but it's the same one I got...

hogluvr
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Next noob question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No not labeled in the pic, tiny hole at an angle opposite the drain plug

Smokeonthewater
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Next noob question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok I think you mean this...

hogluvr
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Next noob question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Could be, will pull it and post pics tomorrow

a32vickyhotrod
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Next noob question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Making some progress as you started with a tractor that would run only with the choke was pulled out.
Also found out it had a dead cylinder with no compression due to a stuck lifter.
Got that fixed and found out it had the wrong plugs and two spark plug wires crossed up.
Now you have a stuck open float needle and seat to work on. Most likely fouled plugs to go with it.
Strange how you went from an engine that would only run while choked, to one that has a stuck open needle and seat. This tractor is going to keep you busy.

hogluvr
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Next noob question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Plugs are not fouled, seems like gas is not getting to them at all, don't think needle is stuck open, ir moves freely when carb is off. Yeah def keeping me busy, and frustrated as well.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters