Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Next noob question...

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grandpa Love
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Next noob question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sometimes an old tractor won't start for
us after it's been sitting idle for
years. No matter what we do. So we hook
it to another tractor and pull start it.
Dunno,maybe shocks it in to running....

hogluvr
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: Next noob question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ha ha that means I'd have to buy another one, my luck it wouldn't start either! 🤣

Btzj02
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Next noob question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

a32vickyhotrod wrote:
This tractor is going to keep you busy.

I think it is a testament to these old machines that they can have so many things wrong and still run! They may not run well but they seem to run! My 8N51 was in a similar condition, and over time, I tackled one thing after another and after each repair the Old Girl ran a little better and started a little easier.
JB

hogluvr
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Next noob question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So after looking as some pics of carbs it's pretty obvious I lost that small brass plug in your pic. After digging through some old threads it was mentioned that this plug is actually an adjustment and not just a drain? Can anyone verify? And where in the heck am I going to get another one??

hogluvr
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Next noob question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll have to verify when I get home, but I've been thinking about this all day. I think I MAY have sorted out another piece of the puzzle. The carb had definitely been messed with before, it had a viton needle. I think whoever did it may have put the choke spring on backwards, and me not thinking about it put it back the same way. I think the spring was holding the choke closed, that has to be bass-ackwards! Like I said I will verify later, but this could be the reason it would only run with the choke "on"! Can someone tell me what that "trap door" does, and if it's supposed to be facing in towards the carb or out? Right now it is facing in.

hogluvr
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Next noob question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Choke is correct, thought I had an epiphany but it was just a braih fart 🙄

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Next noob question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

hogluvr wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:36:32 05/14/21)
Plugs are not fouled, seems like gas is not getting to them at all, don't think needle is stuck open, ir moves freely when carb is off. Yeah def keeping me busy, and frustrated as well.
The 'blue line' reference and the brass screw pictured near the bowl drain is only plugging a drill passage used in manufacturing the carb and there is no reason to ever remove it. You are seeing the main jet via that hole. It is accessed by removing the nozzle at other end of that blue line.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Next noob question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jo Bird
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Next noob question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

hogluvr wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:51:37 05/14/21)
I'll have to verify when I get home, but I've been thinking about this all day. I think I MAY have sorted out another piece of the puzzle. The carb had definitely been messed with before, it had a viton needle. I think whoever did it may have put the choke spring on backwards, and me not thinking about it put it back the same way. I think the spring was holding the choke closed, that has to be bass-backwards! Like I said I will verify later, but this could be the reason it would only run with the choke "on"! Can someone tell me what that "trap door" does, and if it's supposed to be facing in towards the carb or out? Right now it is facing in.
No harm intended you probably all ready know all of this but FHIW
First off if the "trap door" as you put it is facing into the carb, it's " bass-backwards ". It should be facing out to release the pressure if the engine back fires while starting with the choke closed.
Second : IMHO, from the amount of information given, you have a TSX 241-B carb, the attached link may help you verify that ; https://www.carburetion.com/CarbNumber.asp?Number=TSX-142
Third : Carbs, have 2 fuel supply circuits.
One, is low idle, idle screw proportions the gas mixture under slow engine idle, low air flow condition. The choke functions with this circuit by further restricting the air intake to increase the gas portion of the mixture by limiting air intake for starting.
Second, is the power circuit side of the carb which adds additional fuel as engine speed increases. It has 2 main components, the main nozzle and power adjusting needle. If the main nozzle is not clean it will not allow the correct air/fuel mixture to allow the engine to accelerate.
IMHO, from your description, the main nozzle needs to be removed and cleaned. The attached video shows the carb cleaning process, hopefully it will help in getting your tractor to run. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ7qJobmuHk

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Next noob question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jo Bird wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:53:33 05/15/21)
hogluvr wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:51:37 05/14/21)
I'll have to verify when I get home, but I've been thinking about this all day. I think I MAY have sorted out another piece of the puzzle. The carb had definitely been messed with before, it had a viton needle. I think whoever did it may have put the choke spring on backwards, and me not thinking about it put it back the same way. I think the spring was holding the choke closed, that has to be bass-backwards! Like I said I will verify later, but this could be the reason it would only run with the choke "on"! Can someone tell me what that "trap door" does, and if it's supposed to be facing in towards the carb or out? Right now it is facing in.
No harm intended you probably all ready know all of this but FHIW
First off if the "trap door" as you put it is facing into the carb, it's " bass-backwards ". It should be facing out to release the pressure if the engine back fires while starting with the choke closed.
Second : IMHO, from the amount of information given, you have a TSX 241-B carb, the attached link may help you verify that ; https://www.carburetion.com/CarbNumber.asp?Number=TSX-142
Third : Carbs, have 2 fuel supply circuits.
One, is low idle, idle screw proportions the gas mixture under slow engine idle, low air flow condition. The choke functions with this circuit by further restricting the air intake to increase the gas portion of the mixture by limiting air intake for starting.
Second, is the power circuit side of the carb which adds additional fuel as engine speed increases. It has 2 main components, the main nozzle and power adjusting needle. If the main nozzle is not clean it will not allow the correct air/fuel mixture to allow the engine to accelerate.
IMHO, from your description, the main nozzle needs to be removed and cleaned. The attached video shows the carb cleaning process, hopefully it will help in getting your tractor to run. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ7qJobmuHk

The correct choke position:

hogluvr
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Next noob question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK that is exactly how mine is set up so I guess I'm ok there.

Hooky
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Next noob question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it would only run with the choke on that indicates a plugged fuel circuit in the carb. Most likely the idle circuit.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Next noob question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

hogluvr wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:07:43 05/15/21)
OK that is exactly how mine is set up so I guess I'm ok there.
missing a screw

hogluvr
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Next noob question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeah I know I took that picture as I was taking it apart so I would put it back together correctly 😁

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters