Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ford 8N? Angle Drive Distributor

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zmanvortex
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject: Ford 8N? Angle Drive Distributor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am working on my neighbors Ford tractor and from what I can tell it is an 8N. The serial number stamped on the block above the starter is hand stamped 315981. It is not prefixed with anything. I discovered that the distributor rotor was not spinning when the engine turns over. I removed the distributor assembly from the block and started looking for parts online. It appears that I have a rare distributor setup that I cannot find online. I remove the assembly from the front of the block using two bolts and removed an oil line that connected to the distributor shaft housing. I discovered that this is a 90 degree angle drive that connects to the distributor shaft. I discovered that the angle drive gears had broken. I am unable to find this type of angle drive anywhere online. The angle drive shaft has a slot on the end that meshes with the slot on the end of the camshaft where it bolts to the block. The bolt pattern and recess look exactly like the front mount distributors that I have seen online with the slot. Can I just mount one of those front mount distributors in place of the angle drive and distributor? I would post pictures, but I am a new member and apparently I can't post pictures yet.
Thanks.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N? Angle Drive Distributor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

zmanvortex wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:23:31 05/14/21) I am working on my neighbors Ford tractor and from what I can tell it is an 8N. The serial number stamped on the block above the starter is hand stamped 315981. It is not prefixed with anything. I discovered that the distributor rotor was not spinning when the engine turns over. I removed the distributor assembly from the block and started looking for parts online. It appears that I have a rare distributor setup that I cannot find online. I remove the assembly from the front of the block using two bolts and removed an oil line that connected to the distributor shaft housing. I discovered that this is a 90 degree angle drive that connects to the distributor shaft. I discovered that the angle drive gears had broken. I am unable to find this type of angle drive anywhere online. The angle drive shaft has a slot on the end that meshes with the slot on the end of the camshaft where it bolts to the block. The bolt pattern and recess look exactly like the front mount distributors that I have seen online with the slot. Can I just mount one of those front mount distributors in place of the angle drive and distributor? I would post pictures, but I am a new member and apparently I can't post pictures yet.
Thanks.
yes, should be easy bolt on...Just be sure slot (wide/narrow sides) mesh before tightening the 2 bolts or you will break it.

zmanvortex
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N? Angle Drive Distributor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks JMOR. Have you ever seen one of the angle drive distributor setups before? Also, the front mount distributors have the coil mounted to them and my current setup has a separate coil with a plug wire to the center of the distributor cap. The coil I have has two wire connections and it looks like the front mount coil only has a single wire connection. Do I just hook one of the wires from the old coil to the new coil? What about the second wire on the old coil?

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N? Angle Drive Distributor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

zmanvortex wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:33:51 05/14/21)
Thanks JMOR. Have you ever seen one of the angle drive distributor setups before? Also, the front mount distributors have the coil mounted to them and my current setup has a separate coil with a plug wire to the center of the distributor cap. The coil I have has two wire connections and it looks like the front mount coil only has a single wire connection. Do I just hook one of the wires from the old coil to the new coil? What about the second wire on the old coil?
The coil primary wire that went into distributor (to points) is a spring contact (often called pig tail) on the front mount distributor/coil assy and makes contact between coil & points upon mounting the two together.

zmanvortex
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N? Angle Drive Distributor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks JMOR. I see that the primary wire is now directly hooked to the distributor. I was talking about the smaller 12 gauge wire connections. My old remote coil has two smaller wire connections plus the primary plug wire that goes to the distributor. The new front mount coil only has one wire terminal connection. Where does the second wire go? Is the second wire just ground and the new coil is already grounded? I forgot to mention that this is already a 12volt system. Thanks!

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N? Angle Drive Distributor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

zmanvortex wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:04:08 05/14/21) Thanks JMOR. I see that the primary wire is now directly hooked to the distributor. I was talking about the smaller 12 gauge wire connections. My old remote coil has two smaller wire connections plus the primary plug wire that goes to the distributor. The new front mount coil only has one wire terminal connection. Where does the second wire go? Is the second wire just ground and the new coil is already grounded? I forgot to mention that this is already a 12volt system. Thanks!
Small connections are Primary & large HV wires are secondary & plug wires.

and, I have seen front to side mount adapters, more often using magnetos, but also to simply move frt mount distributor up and to the side position and more rare, to drive a normal side mount distributor from a front mount engine. Only in pictures, never in person.

Abbby
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N? Angle Drive Distributor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do not know much about the angle drive but maybe work a little harder to get the gears. Kind of nice to work on points. Maybe someone on this site will chime in with place to get gears

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N? Angle Drive Distributor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

zmanvortex wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:23:31 05/14/21) I am working on my neighbors Ford tractor and from what I can tell it is an 8N. The serial number stamped on the block above the starter is hand stamped 315981. It is not prefixed with anything. I discovered that the distributor rotor was not spinning when the engine turns over. I removed the distributor assembly from the block and started looking for parts online. It appears that I have a rare distributor setup that I cannot find online. I remove the assembly from the front of the block using two bolts and removed an oil line that connected to the distributor shaft housing. I discovered that this is a 90 degree angle drive that connects to the distributor shaft. I discovered that the angle drive gears had broken. I am unable to find this type of angle drive anywhere online. The angle drive shaft has a slot on the end that meshes with the slot on the end of the camshaft where it bolts to the block. The bolt pattern and recess look exactly like the front mount distributors that I have seen online with the slot. Can I just mount one of those front mount distributors in place of the angle drive and distributor? I would post pictures, but I am a new member and apparently I can't post pictures yet.
Thanks.

Send your pictures, especially the broken gears, to me and I will post them for you.

TOH

oldhokie@windyridgefarm.us

R Geiger
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N? Angle Drive Distributor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

zmanvortex wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:23:31 05/14/21) I am working on my neighbors Ford tractor and from what I can tell it is an 8N. The serial number stamped on the block above the starter is hand stamped 315981. It is not prefixed with anything. I discovered that the distributor rotor was not spinning when the engine turns over. I removed the distributor assembly from the block and started looking for parts online. It appears that I have a rare distributor setup that I cannot find online. I remove the assembly from the front of the block using two bolts and removed an oil line that connected to the distributor shaft housing. I discovered that this is a 90 degree angle drive that connects to the distributor shaft. I discovered that the angle drive gears had broken. I am unable to find this type of angle drive anywhere online. The angle drive shaft has a slot on the end that meshes with the slot on the end of the camshaft where it bolts to the block. The bolt pattern and recess look exactly like the front mount distributors that I have seen online with the slot. Can I just mount one of those front mount distributors in place of the angle drive and distributor? I would post pictures, but I am a new member and apparently I can't post pictures yet.
Thanks.
The angle distributor drives were used with magnetos, I have one on one of my 8ns that has an industrial motor in it. works good. you see the angle drives on ebay from time to time.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N? Angle Drive Distributor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

R Geiger wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:31:33 05/14/21)
zmanvortex wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:23:31 05/14/21) I am working on my neighbors Ford tractor and from what I can tell it is an 8N. The serial number stamped on the block above the starter is hand stamped 315981. It is not prefixed with anything. I discovered that the distributor rotor was not spinning when the engine turns over. I removed the distributor assembly from the block and started looking for parts online. It appears that I have a rare distributor setup that I cannot find online. I remove the assembly from the front of the block using two bolts and removed an oil line that connected to the distributor shaft housing. I discovered that this is a 90 degree angle drive that connects to the distributor shaft. I discovered that the angle drive gears had broken. I am unable to find this type of angle drive anywhere online. The angle drive shaft has a slot on the end that meshes with the slot on the end of the camshaft where it bolts to the block. The bolt pattern and recess look exactly like the front mount distributors that I have seen online with the slot. Can I just mount one of those front mount distributors in place of the angle drive and distributor? I would post pictures, but I am a new member and apparently I can't post pictures yet.
Thanks.
The angle distributor drives were used with magnetos, I have one on one of my 8ns that has an industrial motor in it. works good. you see the angle drives on ebay from time to time.
true, but not exclusively.

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N? Angle Drive Distributor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JMOR wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:34:10 05/14/21)
R Geiger wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:31:33 05/14/21)
zmanvortex wrote:
Thanks.
true, but not exclusively.

Case in point.

TOH

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N? Angle Drive Distributor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yes, and I will go out on a limb and make a WAG that this is the one he has:

zmanvortex
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N? Angle Drive Distributor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hopefully these pictures can upload.

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N? Angle Drive Distributor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

zmanvortex wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:53:32 05/14/21) Hopefully these pictures can upload.

Holy Over Engineering Batman!!!

I was expecting a simple mitre gear drive not a spiral bevel with pressure lube!!! That is going to be hard (not impossible) to fix and it wont be cheap.

TOH

zmanvortex
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 8N? Angle Drive Distributor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TheOldHokie wrote:
Holy Over Engineering Batman!!!

I was expecting a simple mitre gear drive not a spiral bevel with pressure lube!!! That is going to be hard (not impossible) to fix and it wont be cheap.

TOH

TOH, I would be fine with just installing a front mount distributor. Do you agree that would work fine? Is there a particular model I should buy for, or are most of the front mounts the same for 8N, 9N, 2N?

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters