Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1955 Ford 600 Rear main seal replacement problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
skeffer223
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:11 pm    Post subject: 1955 Ford 600 Rear main seal replacement problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello all, I have a 1955 640. First time tractor owner here and new to forum. The crankshaft/rear main seal is leaking and I cant seem to get the top of the seal out. The bottom was a rubber seal but the
top is the rope type. I imagine the previous owner took a shortcut here. I have tried to punch it out and use a sneaky pete also. Neither is working on this seal. It is just falling apart on me. Are
there any tips or tricks to get this thing out, or do I have to tear the tractor apart? Any recommendations on other things I should do while going through with this? Thanks for the help.

shaun wallace
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 Ford 600 Rear main seal replacement problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Has center main been loosend ? That will let crank drop so may make eaiser to pull old seal. Be shure to offset lip seal when going back.

skeffer223
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 Ford 600 Rear main seal replacement problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No I didnt loosen anything. I may try that then.

michford
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Ford 600 Rear main seal replacement problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The rope seal can be a real joy to remove, mine came out in pieces like yours. This is not what you will want to hear, but there are three places that have to seal up at the back of the engine. The split seal on the crank itself, and the two side grooves in the rear main cap. The side seals can be troublesome. There are at least three methods of sealing the side wedges in the cap. The original paper wedges that are supposed to swell up and seal once soaked in oil (didn't work for me), a rubber seal that you drive a metal wire into to force the seal tight into the groove (didn't work for me, like trying to push wire in is like trying to push cooked spagetti), and filling the grooves with an RTV sealant which is what worked for me. I also had the engine out of the tractor upside down on an engine stand which made it easier to work on compared to lying on your back under it.

riveroadrat
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1955 Ford 600 Rear main seal replacement problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Theres a puller called sneaky pete that will do the job. I bought one online fleabay.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1955 Ford 600 Rear main seal replacement problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Michford has it EXACTLY right. Getting the old rope seal out is child's play compared to getting the new side seals in, and that is with it on a stand up side down.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters