Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

4000 dry air cleaner?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dopp Creek
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: 4000 dry air cleaner? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was at a salvage yard in MN and came across this 4000 gasser. Never been around the gasser, so this air cleaner set-up was new to me. I thought the dry element in front of the fuel tank came about with the X600 series. Anyone got some history to share?

shaun wallace
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 4000 dry air cleaner? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Auctually its a 4200.

wayde
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 4000 dry air cleaner? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All early 6x gas tractor came that way

johnofnewhaven
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 4000 dry air cleaner? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 70 and 72 3000 and both have the dry element air cleaner. Both are gas.

root
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 4000 dry air cleaner? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Any benefit to converting an oil bath diesel to a dry element?

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 2:57 am    Post subject: Re: 4000 dry air cleaner? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

root wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:33:59 05/16/21) Any benefit to converting an oil bath diesel to a dry element?

What model tractor? They switched the diesels to a dry filter in later years, but you would need to modify things to make one fit

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:02 am    Post subject: Re: 4000 dry air cleaner? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Normal for a 3 cylinder gasser.
From 65 through 83 they all used that type of air cleaner.
Shuan, good eye.
Yes, it's a 4200.
I have that same left side gas hood here if anyone is interested. It is nearly perfect.
I changed my 4200 to diesel and found the correct hood for it. They are longer than the AP models.

Bern
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: 4000 dry air cleaner? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So after reading all of the responses here, that begs the next question: Why were dry air cleaner elements good enough for gas engines but not diesels in 1965?

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: 4000 dry air cleaner? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Bern wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:38:52 05/17/21) So after reading all of the responses here, that begs the next question: Why were dry air cleaner elements good enough for gas engines but not diesels in 1965?

I don't know, but I am curious if you are asking because you already know the answer and are just trying to test us, or if you really don't know yourself.

I think I've mentioned my '73 4000 a few times. It had a gasoline engine from the factory, but it has an oil bath air filter like the diesels had. All of the numbers on all of the components match the sticker under the hood, so as far as I can tell it came that way from the factory. It started life as a state highway mower so it was part of a fleet purchase, and I know those large fleet buyers could order all kinds of non-standard things, so I'm guessing someone in that state highway department thought that oil bath air filters were better than paper ones too.

root
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: 4000 dry air cleaner? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sean in PA wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:29:56 05/17/21)
CVPost-Bern wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:38:52 05/17/21) So after reading all of the responses here, that begs the next question: Why were dry air cleaner elements good enough for gas engines but not diesels in 1965?

I don't know, but I am curious if you are asking because you already know the answer and are just trying to test us, or if you really don't know yourself.

I think I've mentioned my '73 4000 a few times. It had a gasoline engine from the factory, but it has an oil bath air filter like the diesels had. All of the numbers on all of the components match the sticker under the hood, so as far as I can tell it came that way from the factory. It started life as a state highway mower so it was part of a fleet purchase, and I know those large fleet buyers could order all kinds of non-standard things, so I'm guessing someone in that state highway department thought that oil bath air filters were better than paper ones too.

I'd like to know. I have access to most all the parts to convert if there was a good reason to convert my 3 cyl diesel.

Bern
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: 4000 dry air cleaner? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I honestly don't know myself. It's just that the discussion caused me to ponder why the difference between gas and diesel.

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: 4000 dry air cleaner? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

root wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:52:10 05/17/21)
Sean in PA wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:29:56 05/17/21)
CVPost-Bern wrote:

I'd like to know. I have access to most all the parts to convert if there was a good reason to convert my 3 cyl diesel.

I would guess to convert a diesel to the paper style filter it might be easier to use the nose cone off of a 3400, 3500, 3550, or 4400, as those came from the factory with the paper cartridge style air filter in the right side of the nose on the diesel models.

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: 4000 dry air cleaner? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Bern wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:08:40 05/17/21) I honestly don't know myself. It's just that the discussion caused me to ponder why the difference between gas and diesel.

As I just noted in my reply to root, they did user the dry paper cartridge style air filters on the diesel industrial models, (3400, 3500, 3550 and 4400), and I would think that those were designed for dustier environments than the ag chassis 3 cylinder models.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 4000 dry air cleaner? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sean,
I would be interested in seeing how they
routed the air tube/s from the oil bath
filter to the carb.
Got any photos of that?

Sean in PA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: 4000 dry air cleaner? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I posted them on here several years ago back when photobucket was still friendly, but the links to the photos in that old thread no longer work. I'll see if I can dig up those old pictures and post them back here.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters