Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

My To30 Journey

View previous topic :: View next topic  
glenmorebuckman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: My To30 Journey Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi everyone!!
Ive had this tractor for around 10years now. It belonged to my deceased Uncle who bought it to tend tobacco with. It was in pretty rough shape when he got it and was pretty week and smoked pretty bad. He and my other Uncle decided to do an in frame rebuild and only used it one season after that . The water pump went bad and he parked it in the barn were it sat for probably 10 years. My Uncle was killed in an auto accident and I purchased the property and the tractor came with it. I put a new pump on it and have used it every since. Its always had low oil pressure and started to develop a knock. Thats when I decided to do the rebuild. Follow along if youd like as we take this rough journey!! Here is the subject of our story-

Tom H.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: My To30 Journey Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like a bad bearing. Drop the pan and inspect the connecting rods. See if there is any play. You may be able to have the crank turned and just oversized the bearings, put back together and get her going again.

Tom

glenmorebuckman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My To30 Journey Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If I could only get a picture to load

glenmorebuckman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: My To30 Journey Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Internet isnt working the best tonight. Ill try again tomorrow.

glenmorebuckman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My To30 Journey Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe

glenmorebuckman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: My To30 Journey Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And so it begins

glenmorebuckman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My To30 Journey Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Now that the head is off, we can see that it's been burning a lot of oil.

glenmorebuckman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My To30 Journey Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Finally separated. Rear seal was obviously leaking also.

glenmorebuckman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: My To30 Journey Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There was a bunch of play in the connecting rods. When my Uncles did the in frame rebuild they obviously didn't measure the connecting rod journals. They must have figured it was all original and never been worked on because they put in .0002 undersize bearings on a crank that has definitely been ground .015 under!!!!

glenmorebuckman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My To30 Journey Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was really surprised it didn't run hot under a load with the amount of sludge and mud in the coolant passages.

glenmorebuckman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My To30 Journey Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I took the crank and connecting rods in to have it ground and have the wrist pin bushings put in. I left the connecting rod bearings in. When I went to pick it up the guy asked if it had any knocks or oil pressure. I asked him why and he said somebody put the wrong bearings in it.!! So I was right. He said it had .002 bearings on a .015 journal.

glenmorebuckman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My To30 Journey Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice shiny sleeves. Good old dish soap for o-ring lube

John Deere D
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My To30 Journey Reply to specific post Reply with quote

50 weight oil....???

Bob.. Owner TEA-20 Ferguson..

glenmorebuckman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: My To30 Journey Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It always had around 30 pounds at startup but would drop off to around 10-15 after warming up. I dont see how it had that much!!

glenmorebuckman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My To30 Journey Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I completely disassembled the entire tractor and cleaned it and painted each piece separately. New bushings in the steering box and cornhead grease also. Engines back on now and the brake system is back to it's original configuration thanks to Tom H. New radiator, new clutch , pressure plate and throw out bearing.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters