Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Broke my hub axle. Weld it or buy a salvaged one???

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
etripp
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:35 am    Post subject: Broke my hub axle. Weld it or buy a salvaged one??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Last night I broke my axle hub with a sledge hammer trying to get it off in order to replace a leaking seal. I tried hitting a 4x4 wood post with the sledge hammer at first. Then I tried my big three arm puller with an impact. Later I resorted to hitting it metal on metal.

A local shop quoted me between $180 to $360 to weld it back together. A tractor salvage yard said he could sell me one for $250. I'm leaning towards the salvaged. What do you guys think?

I've been following the forums for a long time, but this is my first post. My tractor is an IH 300 Utility.

the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Broke my hub axle. Weld it or buy a salvaged one??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get a used one .

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Broke my hub axle. Weld it or buy a salvaged one??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

why buy new when used will do. is this the rear hub you are referring to? just jerk it off with another tractor.

etripp
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Broke my hub axle. Weld it or buy a salvaged one??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes it's the rear axle hub. I'd have to go with used they don't make new as far as I know. It's part number 361583R1. I tried to upload pictures, but the forum won't let me.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Broke my hub axle. Weld it or buy a salvaged one??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You don't have enough posts to upload pictures yet. You need 7 posts if I am not mistaken.

etripp
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Broke my hub axle. Weld it or buy a salvaged one??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BarnyardEngineering wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:20:23 05/18/21) You don't have enough posts to upload pictures yet. You need 7 posts if I am not mistaken.

Good to know thank you.

John Deere D
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Broke my hub axle. Weld it or buy a salvaged one??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 300.....willing to sell... only as complete Tractor.....
Your Location......?

Bob...North western Alberta Canada..

etripp
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Broke my hub axle. Weld it or buy a salvaged one??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would love to buy that tractor! Unfortunately I'm too far away. I'm near Ottawa, Ontario.

John Deere D
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Broke my hub axle. Weld it or buy a salvaged one??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Call your buddies. Split the cost...check into a back haul.....
Bob...

used red MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Broke my hub axle. Weld it or buy a salvaged one??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just do a web search and used ones will pop up all over. Do
not know how shipping from the US to Canada works. Pick
out the closest and cheapest.

Roger Tomfohrde
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Broke my hub axle. Weld it or buy a salvaged one??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

E-bay has as least one for sale.

used red MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Broke my hub axle. Weld it or buy a salvaged one??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Should add, the number you have does not jive with the CHNI online parts. It shows 368336R1, no. 13 in the attached. To view the diagram on a phone click the picture icon at the bottom. Maybe the number you have will fit but is a heavier duty part.
See CNHI parts here

Ellis Kinney
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Broke my hub axle. Weld it or buy a salvaged one??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Search for a used one. There are probably a few who can do a great job welding it, but most can't, and you won't know for sure until you bolt it up and it
cracks. Ellis

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Broke my hub axle. Weld it or buy a salvaged one??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the shipping will make u want to scrap the tractor. i priced a 560 hub few weeks ago and shipping was 1400.00 for the 75.00 hub!! finally found one here for 250.00

tn terry t
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Broke my hub axle. Weld it or buy a salvaged one??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i would try jptractor salvage good people to deal with they only deal in farmall, international parts 573-783-7055

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters