Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Timber frame barn repair

View previous topic :: View next topic  
T-Nason
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Timber frame barn repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey yall,
So this isnt about a tractor, this is about a BARN.
I recently acquired my grandfathers old timber frame barn. Built in 1896 by my great great grandfather. It had a 6 string cow stable that was my grandfathers milking parlor until 1984. It has a concrete block pony wall all around it that is failing quite miserably. Any idea how to replace it? Should I just try to convert it to a pole frame? I know money will be a factor. Just looking for ideas.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Timber frame barn repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That sort of work is not uncommon around here. They start by knocking holes through the block wall. The holes are spaced so that there is one to each side of where an upright post is above. planks can be sistered to the sill beam with threaded rod through. blocking is stacked up on inside and outside to support jacks, and a cross timber, probably 8x8 is jacked against the cross timber. Now a section of the wall can be lifted enough to take the pressure off the old wall so that it can be taken down and rebuilt. Extra blocking and timbers are used at the corners. Let the wall down on the new wall and repeat.

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Timber frame barn repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First think about your future uses for the barn: livestock; machinery storage; repair shop; woodworking/hobby shop; small square bale storage; large round bale storage; vehicle parking; aesthetics only; etc? Then repair/rebuilt it to meet your intended needs. Some old livestock barn floor plans are not laid out for modern day uses.

560Dennis
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Timber frame barn repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Talk to Barn again . Or Barn group in your state Michigan barns group.
Number one problem is water , got to solve and diverting the water is first and foremost problem , if you dont do that every thing else will fail.
Old timers used lime mortar around cobblestone. Cant use regular mortars cause water gets into cracks freezes and failure speeds up. Sound s like didnt understand this, someone to repair with concrete blocks, never work on bank barn pressure and water will push it right in. I wont repair with pioneer barns with Portland cement will not absorp water, surely will crack and waste time and a lot of money , should like your seeing the results of what Im saying has already happen . Stay clear of Portland concrete block and fix water issues with good roof and downspouts to drain water away from foundations, that a must .
Seek expertise from people that does barn restoration , Ohio has friends of Ohio barns.

derwen1959
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Timber frame barn repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your description is saying if you start do too much the whole structure could collapse.. is that true?
How about some photos??

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Timber frame barn repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I helped a guy save this 1910 post beam barn.
We used straps to stabilize the wood frame, later replaced ratchet straps with 1/2 cables and massive turn buckles.

Used floor jacket and timbers to Jack

Up the entire east side that was damaged by power post Beatles.
Supported with treated 4x4 and concrete

Under posts. Wasn't easy. Many long days for two old farts to accomplish .
We both had carpenter skills. He once had a construction business. I've built and remodeled a few houses.

We are too old to ever attempt something like this again.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Timber frame barn repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

About all you can do is jack the building up and support it on something else so you can take out the wall and replace it. I sometimes will take a bearing wall out of a house and build a temporary wall on each side of it so I can demo the wall. Then I replace the wall with a steel I beam so the wall no longer needs to be there.

560Dennis
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Timber frame barn repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice

4520BW
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Timber frame barn repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Out old barn was sagging from over loading the loft..it was made for loose hay. I jacked it up up and used 6x6 box tubing for poles.

kencombs
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Timber frame barn repair Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Excellent job! You're not to old. I think you may be a few younger than me and I'd still attempt it. Maybe to dumb to know better. Grandson and I will be stripping and reroofing his Mom's (my daughter) house as soon as (or IF) the rain ever stops for a couple of days.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters