Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Massey 500B Crawler loader/dozer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tassie
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:44 am    Post subject: Massey 500B Crawler loader/dozer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello, Can anyone assist me with a service manual for a MF 500B Crawler please. In particular I am after the Transmission (powershift) and torque converter as I have oil leaking from the first bellhousing, no drive and not much oil flow or pressure from the 3 pumps on the transmission. This machine has been sitting for many years.

Jim.ME
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Massey 500B Crawler loader/dozer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Amazon shows one available, which I expect is a reprint.

Tassie
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey 500B Crawler loader/dozer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello Jim, I did notice they
advertise one hiwever I have
concers if is or not as they are
the only ones I found selling
one and the picture depicted in
the add is of a tractor.

lugnuts2030
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey 500B Crawler loader/dozer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Low oil level could be your reason for not moving. Not good to run it low, damage could occur.

Jim.ME
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Massey 500B Crawler loader/dozer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I believe that reprinter uses that same generic tractor picture on the cover of many manuals. I think you will find that seller is SSB Tractor Parts. If you visit their site you can find a phone number (and other contact info). You can call them and ask them about it and maybe get them to email you the index pages so you can see if it has what you are looking for. You could also call the YT Parts Store and see if they have a manual for the 500B that might not show in the on line site.

Do you have an Operator's Manual? I would suggest getting one right away, if you don't have one. Those seem more plentiful on eBay and other places. One of those should give you the check and fill points as well as the oils/fluids to use.

Tassie
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey 500B Crawler loader/dozer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello Jim, Yes I do have an operator manual for this machine. I have also contacted the supplier of the manual as suggested. Do you know if the pumps mounted on the transmission need bleeding? I would of thought they do not.
I have started to remove the transmission cover to check the filter screen however I don't believe this to be blocked as there is plenty of oil flow from the bottom drain bung when I drained it.

marloweg
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey 500B Crawler loader/dozer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

open the bleeders on the filters and then rev it up if it has air in the filters it will not prime. had a three 300 that after about two weeks of sitting it would not steer when oil starts coming out you have to shut the bleeders while the oil is peeing out you can let it idle while you are doing the closing messy job should have 2 people have fun

JimInOz
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey 500B Crawler loader/dozer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've found a few File manuals on TRADEBIT.
Or look on eBay (Worldwide).

marloweg
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey 500B Crawler loader/dozer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

sorry i was looking back and this is the wrong post sorry

Tassie
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey 500B Crawler loader/dozer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I have been searching high and low for a workshop/repair manual with no luck. Amazon have nil stock and SSB Tractors have not replied to any of my emails.

Does anyone have a workshop/repair manual for the MF-500B they would be prepared to sell. I now have this machine moving however I still seem to have trans/brake pressure issues as my powershift pressure gauge is reading very low and when I select either 1st or 2nd the pressure drops completely off the gauge (not sure how accurate it is, have purchased a new gauge to test on the weekend). Also when the 1st - neutral - 2nd selector is in the neutral position I still have drive when operating the forward/reverse selectors. It doesnt seem to change gear when shifting 1st to 2nd. I have had the control assembly off and cleaned however I cannot see any issues with it. Has anyone come across this before?

AJ.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Massey 500B Crawler loader/dozer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I cannot help with the manual, I can't remember much about about the 500B as I have only come across a few and that was back in the seventies, what I think was powering it was a Perkins 510 V8, assuming the power train is a torque converter coupled to a power shift transmission, I assume that the suction strainer and filters are clean, going from there I would check and make sure the leak you have is not coming from an external source like a pipe or a hose, if the leak is coming from the torque housing it would be my guess that it is the charge pump, it is also possible that the torque has a crack in it's housing, either way to access it you will have to remove the housing, this is where my memory is blank cos I can't remember the setup if it has a drive shaft between the torque and transmission you will probably get the torque housing off, if you are looking around the torque see if you can find any tags cos I doubt if MF made any of the power train.
AJ

Tassie
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey 500B Crawler loader/dozer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have found a repair manual for these machines and have it electronically. Now I am able to perform a few test pressures I have found two broken rings (like piston rings) on the Low/Neutral/High shaft and a broken spring in one of the brake valves.
Is there anyone out there that is wrecking of these, in particular transmission / brake bits?

AJ.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Massey 500B Crawler loader/dozer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Look on the torque for a makers name as it may be common to something else, the broken rings usually found on a shaft that has to carry oil to the piston in the clutch pack, probably the trouble as it would be losing pressure, I thing those tractors were Italian built and a lot of the stuff on them was made by IMALO or something like that, they looked nice to the eye.
AJ

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Crawlers, Dozers, Loaders and Backhoes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters