Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

TO35 Rod Connector Bearings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
willor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:27 am    Post subject: TO35 Rod Connector Bearings Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Reposting since I forgot the photos last time - Finally found time to pull the loose-fitting Rod Connector cap and bearing on my TO35 continental engine and discovered the following (See Pictures). First time looking at this end of the engine. I know that old bearing is shot, but I don't know what to make of the crank and the cap surfaces. What do you guys think? I suspect this means pulling the crank and resurfacing it along with new rods, bearings and pistons. Any thoughts on how I should proceed?

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: TO35 Rod Connector Bearings Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That crank absolutely has to come out and be evaluated.

If it will clean up with a regrind, great. If it's beyond, it will have to be welded up or find a serviceable used crank. I prefer not to weld them up, better off finding a good used one.

The rod can be reconditioned, it must be before it is put back in service.

Look all the other bearings over closely, rods and mains. Be sure none of the others turned or spun (be sure the lock tabs are still there). If any spun proper steps must be taken to restore the bore of the journal, be it reconditioning the rods (recommended) or align boring the block.

Be aware, when a bearing fails to that extent, it sheds metal that gets circulated through the entire engine. It must be completely disassembled and thoroughly clean all the internal passages, the oil pick up tube and screen, and the oil pump disassembled and inspected.

As for the governor question, some use the shim, some don't. The back of the plate that goes against the cam gear must sit flat against the face of the gear. If there is a space between the gear and the plate, the shim needs to be used.

J.Wondergem
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: TO35 Rod Connector Bearings Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it were me, I'd take everything to a engine rebuilder. They have a dunk tank and everything to work with.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters