Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Another 8N wont start thread

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CTX1836
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Another 8N wont start thread Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi all, been trying to get the 8n the start. First thing I had to replace the was the sediment bowl assembly that leaked then I replaced the coil, the distributor cap, rotor, points, and condenser. I also replaced all spark plugs. I am getting spark at the plugs but no start. I have tried to adjust the timing on the points and got the tractor to where it will backfire through the carb. I made sure the firing order was correct. The tractor was converted to 12v long ago by the previous owner. It has the side mount distributor on the right hand side when sitting in the seat looking forward. Any ideas would be appreciated.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Another 8N wont start thread Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Backfire from the carb can be a few things.
#1 carb set to lean
#2 timing off.
#3 Firing order wrong. Pull #1 plug and get it at TDC on the compression stoke and check where the rotor is pointing and adjust if need be
#4 point gap wrong it needs to be 0.025
#5 bad new condenser.

You say you have good spark is it blue/white in color and will it jump a 1/4 inch gap or more

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Another 8N wont start thread Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Intake backfire following servicing the ignition system is almost always from cross wiring.

Firing order is 1243, the rotor turns CCW.
Firing Order

CTX1836
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Another 8N wont start thread Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Its blue in color as far as the spark goes. And I dont think it will jump as far as you are saying. I am brand new to this and working on anything that has these components. I will set the gap as you say and also double check my firing order. Also, how do I adjust the carb to Insure its set correctly?

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Another 8N wont start thread Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Setting a crab correctly depends on where you are. A carb that is where I live will not be set the same as a carb in say Denver CO due to where you are to sea level. That said you set it such to get the most power and no black smoke. So throttle it up and open the main jet till you get black smoke then turn it back in till the smoke stops and you have good powder. As for spark take an old plug an open up the gap to as close to a 1/4 inch as you can and use it to gauge how good/bad the spark is

CTX1836
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Another 8N wont start thread Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I will try all of this. Thanks for the replys. I will report back after. Hopefully I can get back to work on it tomorrow after work. I am in North East Texas if that helps any as sr as Carb goes

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Another 8N wont start thread Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So good chance you sit lower in sea level then I do here in the Ozarks Mountains of Missouri. I have to many tractors. I have 30 plus on the place and one is a late model 8N ford with a Scout backhoe and dearborn 19-71 loader on it

CTX1836
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Another 8N wont start thread Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds awesome! Mine is a 1950 model. Been in Texas its whole life and Im the second owner. I got it from the son of the first owner. I think he said the last time he used it was sometime in the 80s or 90s.

Do you think that It could also be a weak starter? It turns the motor over god the first few cranks then slows down after the next couple times I try to crank it. Almost like it pulls a lot of juice out of the battery. Now the battery is about 10 years old I stuck in it for testing purposes so lol.

sds46a
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Another 8N wont start thread Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the tractor hasn't been run in a long time, maybe a stuck valve?
I might not be remembering correctly so....

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Another 8N wont start thread Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A weak starter can cause start problem due to high amp raw which can make poor spark

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters