Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

230 rockshaft

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harry in Ky
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: 230 rockshaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have the lift housing from a 230 sitting upside down and am trying to get the rockshaft out. All the Massey books I have on other models indicate that this particular procedure doesn't require much explanation/instruction so I'm guessing the 230 isn't much different from most of the others.

This one however, is being stubborn and then some. The reason we're in here is because the bushings and related shaft surfaces are bound up. Seems at some point Massey stopped putting grease fittings on these bushings and I'm dealing with the result of that move.

Using some bolts, chains, a puller cross bar, and a forcing screw I was able to get the shaft to move. After repeated attempts in both directions, abundant applications of penetrating fluid, a fair amount of smacking, swearing, and sweating, I gave up for the day. The connecting arm for the lift piston is free on the splines so that's not a problem.

It only moves about 1/4 inch either way, until the splines in the center portion reach whatever it is they need to pass through and then it stops. Now I'm wondering if the center portion could be larger than the bushings and I need to force one of the bushings out with the shaft?

I really thought that once I got it to move, simply going back and forth a few times and it would be out. No such luck.

Can it be that the 230 is just different from many of the others, and there's more to it than it looks?

DavidP,South Wales
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 230 rockshaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi, swearing at it wont make a blind bit of difference.but it makes
you feel a whole lot better!!!!!!! If you can be sure that the ram arm is
free on the main shaft then you are halfway there. Have you been
able to remove one or both upper lift arms? Whilst the 230 is a
relatively modern tractor the arms can seize up as with a 35 for
example. In the past when faced with this problem I have actually cut
and drilled the ram arm at points which will allow a splined section to
be prised off the ahaft. The splines will hold it in place. I have also cut
the upper arms in the past to free them. It is possible to make up a
massively heavy duty puller to remove the upper arms. Using the
puller and heating the arm around the shaft has worked. If the
tightness is between the shaft and bushes or between the housing
and bushes you can only be patient and knock the shaft back and
forth and keep plenty of lubricating spray around it. Avoid damaging
the end of the shaft as it will not pass through the bush if you do.
Secure the cover to a bench even if you have to make a frame to
mount it at the seat points. Having it safe and secure is invaluable.
Let us know how you get on.
DavidP, South Wales.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters