Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Paint guns

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patsdeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:52 pm    Post subject: Paint guns Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So I have tried the suction guns, not much success. Then went to hvlp which I have used for multiple tractors. I've had pretty good success. I have shot dealer brand enamel to base/clear all with pretty good results. How about the sealed cup guns? Either the ones with the liner or just the ones with cups that allow you to spray in any direction. They have become more appealing as doing the underside has never been easy and usually where I goof the most. Thoughts???

44 massey
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Paint guns Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I took a HVLP gun removed the cup and installed a 10ft clear soft ( 3/8 O.D. X 1/4 I.D.) hose between the cup and the gun!! I mount the cup in a bracket (removable) on a mobile pole about 6ft high and the paint gravity feeds to the gun!!! You can spray at ANY angle even lay the gun down and no spills!!!! Works for me!!!!

kencombs
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint guns Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I like the bag kind that goes in a gravity feed cup with a little plastic piece that punctures the bag and seals it to the cup.

Mine is a 620G and it came with the accessories including 3 different nozzles. Kind of expensive, but it will last me forever and goes a great job.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint guns Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you want to spray at any angle I would recommend a gun like this one. https://www.harborfreight.com/professional-spray-gun-kit-93312.html I use one similar but I have 25' of hose on it and holds two gallons.

kencombs
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint guns Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those are nice for big jobs,but way too much cleanup work and solvent for smaller tasks.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint guns Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It only adds about 6' of hose to flush out. If the gun is cleaned within a reasonable time after you use it it's not adding that much clean up. I think it's worth it to be able to spray at any angle.

glennster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint guns Reply to specific post Reply with quote

at my shop, we switched to the 3m pps cup system with liners when we changed from diamont to ppg envirobase water borne automotive paint. there are some upfront costs involved, but it is really a slick system.

kencombs
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Paint guns Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I really don't like cleanup! Nothing beats a gravity feed gun with the disposable liners, IMO. Will spray or at most any angle and can be cleaned in a couple of minutes with less than a cup of thinner. Just my experience and but everyone has their own.

J.Wondergem
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Paint guns Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I noticed the one Stephen shows, isn't HVLP. Looks like a good idea, but I'd like to stick with a HVLP do to not near the over spray. HF shows another one for 10 bucks more that's HVLP, but only good for primer or house paint.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Paint guns Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Patsdeere wanted a gun he could go underneath and paint the underside of a tractor though. That would be pretty difficult with a gravity feed gun.

kencombs
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint guns Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The bag is airtight, so once you spray enough that the bag starts to collapse the atmospheric pressure will push it to the nozzle, no matter which way it is pointed. But, you do have to fill the bag leaving no air over the paint.

tugman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint guns Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-44 massey wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:28:23 04/28/21) I took a HVLP gun removed the cup and installed a 10ft clear soft ( 3/8 O.D. X 1/4 I.D.) hose between the cup and the gun!! I mount the cup in a bracket (removable) on a mobile pole about 6ft high and the paint gravity feeds to the gun!!! You can spray at ANY angle even lay the gun down and no spills!!!! Works for me!!!!

44 massey
Now that is a great idea!!!
I just got a hvlp gun and was kinda wondering how I was going to be able to spray the underside of my tractor... Thank you !

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: Paint guns Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You would have to have a pressure pot sprayer to spray the underside. About the cheapest would be this one. https://www.harborfreight.com/professional-spray-gun-kit-93312.html

tugman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint guns Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No it will gravity feed just like a IV in a human regardless of the person's position, providing the paint IV is higher than the gun.
And if I'm wrong when I try it you will get my most humble groveling apology
😉

44 massey
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Paint guns Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have to admit I wasnt so sure it would work, tooo simple and cheap!!
Was afraid it would not feed fast enough but cant tell difference!!! I
use it a lot and not just the underside!! Nice not have to worry about
dumping paint on your arm or on the floor!!!!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Paint and Bodywork All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters