Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

How do you mark blind holes for drilling

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: How do you mark blind holes for drilling Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So I am making a couple doglegs for my 1947 Cub. The 2 bottom holes are blind hole and while the first one was close I'd like to get them right on. There 1/4 inch bolt hole in the casting.

Thanks

grandpa Love
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you mark blind holes for drilling Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Put a screw in the hole. Smear lip stick on screw head. Lol works every time

GordoSD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you mark blind holes for drilling Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am surprised that Smear lipstick on the screw head didn't get poofed. LOL

markct
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you mark blind holes for drilling Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Spotting punches, for threaded holes they make ones that look like a setscrew with a point, for non threaded they have a round pilot and shoulder and a point

550Doug
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you mark blind holes for drilling Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-grandpa Love wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:26:56 06/11/21) Put a screw in the hole. Smear lip stick on screw head. Lol works every time

I have a tube of toothpaste in my toolbox just for that job.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you mark blind holes for drilling Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I sort of did that. I put a stove bolt in the hole and sprayed it with paint then put the dog leg in place and it marked it as I needed. If my stupid cell phone would work you would have a 3rd picture of the doglegs. I just finished up the 2nd one and the next project will be the grill. Still not sure how I cam going to make the curved bends on the sides for the grill. Don't think Thing for making bends would work since it is made to make a true 90 degree bend

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you mark blind holes for drilling Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Transfer screws. As markct said. Grind a sharp point on a Gr 8 set screw. If you can't get to it from the other side of the hole file or saw flats so you can get it in and out with pliers. Gr 8s will be hard enough for a couple of uses. Leave the points about 1/16 above the surface and strike the part to mark locations.

steve_in_mo
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you mark blind holes for drilling Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you have a piece of PVC pipe about that size?

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you mark blind holes for drilling Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not that I know of but I think I have some steel pipe about that size

caterpillar guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you mark blind holes for drilling Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use paper or cardboard and tap the hole gently to make a hole in the paper/cardboard screw in a bolt then do the next usually going across from the first to get the most distance so it will not be Multiplying the err. And keep putting bolts in as I go. Then check for true then lay on piece you want the holes in punch and drill. Transfer punches work good for the marks to drillthe holes.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you mark blind holes for drilling Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would be inclined to set up stops on the drill press instead of marking them. When doing multiple parts its the best way to get them uniform.

grizz02
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you mark blind holes for drilling Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Buy a set of transfer punches 40.00 on line

4520BW
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you mark blind holes for drilling Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I guess the metoo movement people are too busy worrying gender identity and who is on the syrup bottle to look at tractor website...for now

TimV
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you mark blind holes for drilling Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Under 10 bucks for a set of 6 1/4-20 transfer screws on Amazon. For a couple uses, just turning down the head of a bolt into a point works fine--I'm still using ones I made 20 years ago like that for the occasional time I need an oddball size that I don't have store-bought transfer screws for. You're just trying to make a mark, which you can then make deeper with an actual center punch if necessary.
transfer screws

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: How do you mark blind holes for drilling Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yep, yep, thats the ticket. as old says... btdt ! lol.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters