Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1550 long shaft

View previous topic :: View next topic  
super99
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:51 pm    Post subject: 1550 long shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have the cover off and the 3 bolts out, Ive pryed on to the point of being afraid of breaking something. It has came out about 1/8or so. Is there something I missed or do they come out that hard? On my 88, once I got it started, it slid right out. I cant budge this one.

RCP
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1550 long shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It should not be hard to remove the shaft, maybe the shaft is gaulded to the bearing in the PTO housing? I had a 77 that did that and I had to remove the PTO gear box.

B A Star
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1550 long shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The bearing that supports the long shaft is part way into the Trans / Diff. housing (bearing that the cap that you took the three 3/8 bolts out of).   The housings are not aligned, PTO has shifted from use.   Loosen the four 1/2 bolts that hold the PTO housing to the Trans. / Diff. housing and tap the PTO housing around & shaft will come out.

Install the long shaft & bearing before tightening the four 1/2 bolts when reassembling.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1550 long shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've had to use a bar to pop them out. Put a tire iron behind the clutch pack and pry against the housing.

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: 1550 long shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take Randy's advice. I thought the same thing. A pry bar will do it. Once it pops it comes out easy.

super99
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: 1550 long shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If I take the 4 bolts loose to get it out, do I need to replace the gasket behind it since it was loosened??

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1550 long shaft Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Been a while since I did mine but as I recall the housing is doweled to the diff cover.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters