Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ford 3000 horizontal to vertical exhaust

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JerryLook
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Ford 3000 horizontal to vertical exhaust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My tractor has horizontal exhaust. Shes a little bit old and tired, and the diesel smoke is starting to get to me. Haha. Id like to switch it over to vertical exhaust. I have a logging winch on it and spend a lot of time at the back of the tractor.

I see I can buy all the parts to do it the right way. They have new manifolds, new extension pipes, and new mufflers for me to run it out of the hood. And its pretty inexpensive. I think the manifold and pipe off of the manifold are around 100 bucks. I already have a muffler I can use. I would probably just cut a hole in the existing hood.

My concern is about getting off the old manifold. I dont think its ever been off. I kind of dont want to mess with possibly breaking exhaust studs/bolts off. I was thinking another option is it get a u-pipe and just come off the existing manifold (points down), and up next to the hood. The pipe would run between the hood and loader frame.

The exhaust is already pretty close to the oil filter and hyd pump. I dont think the heat from running it on the outside of the hood would affect anything.

Any comments or suggestions?

This post was edited by JerryLook on 06/13/2021 at 12:55 pm.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 3000 horizontal to vertical exhaust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My personal opinion on cutting a hole in
the hood is if anyone does that they should
be shot, then prosecuted and Then sent to
the Gulag for it.
I looked for more than 2 years before I
found a nice, Left hand hood for my own
3000 that hadn't been hacked by someone
like that.

That said, the switch is pretty simple and
the parts are not expensive.
Often, the heads of the manifold are rusted
badly so a wrench won't turn them anymore.
In that case, take an angle grinder with a
cutting wheel and cut the heads off the
bolts - grinding into the manifold as
needed. Once the manifold is off use vice
grips to remove the remaining part of the
bolt. I have never had one that the bolts
didn't screw out of the head easily.

JerryLook
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 3000 horizontal to vertical exhaust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If this tractor was even in decent shape I wouldnt think about cutting a hole in the hood. The tractor was owned by a construction company, beat to hell, involved in a warehouse fire, and finally given to me by its owner (family friend) because I needed a woods tractor. I really do try to improve it instead of making it even more rigged up. Not saying Ive never fixed something the wrong way. Though usually that comes back to bite me later Wink

If you think going through the hood like stock is preferable, I noticed they have aftermarket hoods on eBay for 77$ with free shipping.

Is water able to leak through the hole in the hood around the exhaust stack, or is there some kind of gasket there?

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 3000 horizontal to vertical exhaust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I get it. Beat up old Ford but still
earning its keep. They're great machines.
I wouldn't spend the $77 either so Cut
away.
You need the adapter. Goes from the
manifold to the muffler.
Click the link below.
Mine is also a diesel.
Left hand/no hole hoods for gassers are not
hard to come by. For a diesel they are.

Click here

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 3000 horizontal to vertical exhaust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 2000 has the hole. There's a snap in plug for it but it's missing. I'd think yours would have it too.

JerryLook
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 3000 horizontal to vertical exhaust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What exhaust system was standard on the diesel 3000, vertical or horizontal?

Fordfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 3000 horizontal to vertical exhaust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For a little bit more money, you could
get a 3600 style manifold and gooseneck,
and mount the muffler farther forward.
Doesn't seem like much, but that 6 or so
lessens the noise you hear, and gets the
smoke farther away from you. Also helps
slightly with visibility around the
muffler.
This probably isn't an option, if you
have the old style power steering system
with the reservoir under the hood.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 3000 horizontal to vertical exhaust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It was optional. You could order it either
way depending on what you used the tractor
for.

JerryLook
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 3000 horizontal to vertical exhaust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Unfortunately mine has the power steering pump right in front of the exhaust manifold.

Ill probably put a smallish muffler on it so I can see around it better. I usually wear ear protection when Im driving the tractor, since Im geared up for sawing anyways.

Texasmark
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 3000 horizontal to vertical exhaust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a 1988 3910 with the horiz. muffler...stubby little sucker, bolted to the left floor board....sound was unreal...new muffler
same deal. Decided to go vertical. The 3910 Ex. manifold is different than my 3000 so I bought one of those and a new half hood
which had the hole for the stack 3 farther forward than the 3000. Then the long (48 I think) oval muffler (the one designed for cab
versions) thinking I was really going to quiet the beast.

Well guess all that work and puke for an answer. I was standing next to the machine one day and realized there was inadequate
bracing inside the OEM tall oval muffler and it was resonating, making it's own noise trying to compete with the tractor.....fat chance.
So I go over to the 3000 and jerk the stock round one off it and stick it on the 3910.......AAAAAAH. Life is good....finally some
reasonable peace and quiet. So I get one of those and now both tractors are happy.

On your comment about the heat and pump and all that, remember the radiator fan is running and blowing the heat away, and Henry
designed them to have the Gen. or Alt. and PS pump and all that so don't worry about it and diesels run a lot cooler than gas....my
3910 is happy.

bc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 3000 horizontal to vertical exhaust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 1500 has the vertical exhaust. Comes out about 6" above my head. Wide open, low gear, and no wind and I don't smell it. Otherwise it comes down in my face. Got a 12" extension to get it higher yet.

JerryLook
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 3000 horizontal to vertical exhaust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was thinking thats one benefit of the non-factory option of running the exhaust between the hood and loader. It would be off to the side and not as much in front of my vision, and also maybe wouldnt blow as much smoke on me.

Right now with the exhaust exiting right under the axle the tractor is very good for bug control in the woods. Haha.
The exhaust comes out, hits the winch, and just kind of rolls up.

Lynn Patrick
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 3000 horizontal to vertical exhaust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is a "Wish it would work" response! I have a gasser w/vertical exhaust. I "wish" I could trade you my set-up for yours, manifold, muffler, hood & all! My personal preference is the under-slung horizontal exhaust. It's all in what you like!

Texasmark
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 3000 horizontal to vertical exhaust Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a 2000 4 cyl muffler under cowl, OEM style and tail pipe out the back...very quiet. I have a 3910 that had a little short muffler
OEM unit behind the left foot rest, like I said, and it will blow your ear drums out...with foam ear plugs and 26 dB ear muffs......might
think about your wish.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters