Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

JD5420 fuel problems.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacksun65
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:54 pm    Post subject: JD5420 fuel problems. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am working on a 5420 cab model. since the neighbor got this tractor they have had problems with the fuel system. I changed the filters three times last year including the inline fuel strainer. last week I changed all the filters again cleaned the hand primer and they said the tractor was running better than ever. then yesterday they were running the disc mower in some rough ground and it quit. I went and checked it today the fuel filter was half full the fuel strainer was clean the check valve was good. Fuel filter had some crud in it but not bad. Fuel tank was full. could not get it to fire. I am going to add an electric fuel pump and change the lines on it. One thing bothers me is there is no loud click from the fuel shutoff never has but has worked, Can I change the shutoff solenoid or does that take special tools

J.Wondergem
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: JD5420 fuel problems. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are you sure there isn't something floating around on the bottom of the fuel tank, covering up the fuel line hole?

wore out
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: JD5420 fuel problems. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-jacksun65 wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:54:39 06/13/21)

Is battery voltage getting to the fuel cutoff solenoid?

This post was edited by wore out on 06/13/2021 at 08:23 pm.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: JD5420 fuel problems. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is fuel tank venting? Have you checked for good fuel flow from tank to inj pump?

lfnel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: JD5420 fuel problems. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is the Diesel fuel they're using clean, free of water and reasonably fresh?

jacksun65
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: JD5420 fuel problems. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I pulled the line coming out of the tank and got good clean fuel, Had fuel up to the filter no blockages. The Standyne pump shutoff solenoid has power to it but it is under the cover so I would have to get to it to replace it. I will get fuel flowing to the injection pump first and then check the solenoid more.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters