Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Rotary Hoe or replant ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Farmboy 81
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Rotary Hoe or replant ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got several acres of soybeans that are on a sandy clay based type land that I planted with the grain drill. They were no till planted with the ground only being disked once early on behind a corn crop. We had another suprise big rain on the 3rd day after they were planted. So far about 30 percent have came up. The rest are mostly germinated and near the top of the ground, but it has crusted and packed over so hard they won't come through the surface. Today is the 12th day. Bean seed is in short supply here. Anyone had any luck running a rotary hoe behind drilling or just bite the bullet and hope to find enough seed somewhere to replant all of it ? I've run it over corn with mixed results but not behind a grain drill before.

centash
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotary Hoe or replant ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rotary home it...don't look back.....they need a bit of help to get through the crust. You won't lose any beans already up.

Ben

flying belgian
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotary Hoe or replant ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would rotary hoe it. I ran the hoe twice over the organic beans after they were up. Yes, it will kick one out here and there but look at it like a battle and with every battle the good guys are going to suffer some casualties too.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Rotary Hoe or replant ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd for sure try the rotary hoe. My uncle and cousin used to have to do that with dry edible beans a lot.

Farmboy 81
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rotary Hoe or replant ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We're going to try to rotary hoe them as soon as we can dig it out of the archives. Been awhile since it's been run. Y'all have talked me into it. Lol. I guess it'd be better to go at just a slight angle to the row wouldn't it ?

centash
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Rotary Hoe or replant ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We've always gone right down the rows, but in a solid stand like yours, it should make little difference

Ben

flying belgian
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotary Hoe or replant ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Make sure you take an oil can and squirt some on every one of the coil springs. Other wise I guarantee you will break springs.

Farmboy 81
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotary Hoe or replant ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We knocked the moth balls off of it and got started with it. I can't tell where it's hurt anything running it over what's already up. It's leaving it crumbled enough to where maybe the rest will come on through. Gonna have more to run over with it than I thought originally.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Rotary Hoe or replant ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I was still farming it was normal to use the hoe on EVERY acre of both corn and beans every year. Sometimes more than once. And did no no-till.

1206SWMO
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Rotary Hoe or replant ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I about wore out my rotary hoe out on soybeans, milo,and even wheat...Most of the time it got them up after a hard rain.

Brown Dirt Cowboy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotary Hoe or replant ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

well did the rotary hoe help get the rest of your beans up?

Farmboy 81
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Rotary Hoe or replant ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I ran it over right much of what I had
planted. Some of it we got most of a stand
except in bottoms where water stood from a
hard rain which is to be expected. Other
places it didn't help too much. Wound up
with about a 50 percent of a stand on
these farms.

Brown Dirt Cowboy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Rotary Hoe or replant ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Rotary Hoe or replant ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There was a lot of dry beans replanted around here after all the recent rains.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Using Your Tractor & Crop Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters