Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1957 Case 351 Hydraulic Fluid / Transmission Fluid

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lindenboyer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:09 am    Post subject: 1957 Case 351 Hydraulic Fluid / Transmission Fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good morning. I'm having trouble finding the correct type and amount of hydraulic fluid and transmission fluid for my 1957 Case 351 tractor. I'm good to go on engine oil but have been unable to locate any concrete information on the other fluids. Any guidance / recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank You,

Linden

John Saeli
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Case 351 Hydraulic Fluid / Transmission Fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Linden: I hope the engine oil of your choice is the best 15W40 diesel oil. If it is good enough for the big diesels, it must be good enough for your 351. For the Torque tube, about 4 Gallons of CASE Hy-Tran, or a good brand of Transmission-Hyd. Oil. In our tractors, I adds ome 85W140 to that oil to give it more body and for extra pump protection. In the Tranny-Diff, use 85W140.

lindenboyer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Case 351 Hydraulic Fluid / Transmission Fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you John.

lindenboyer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Case 351 Hydraulic Fluid / Transmission Fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John,
For the transmission/differential, by any chance, do you know how many gallons? I think I read somewhere along the way that it is 11 gallons but unfortunately, I have been unable to find that in the manual or through online research.

Thank You,

Linden

John Saeli
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Case 351 Hydraulic Fluid / Transmission Fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

11 gallons is correct.

lindenboyer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Case 351 Hydraulic Fluid / Transmission Fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank You.

lindenboyer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Case 351 Hydraulic Fluid / Transmission Fluid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I went ahead and picked up some Shell Rotella HD/Transmission Fluid and filled the Torque tube with 4 Gallons. Unfortunately, after about a day and a half now, about 2.5 Gallons has leaked back out. The dip stick was just below the low mark when I checked it last night. The leak is coming from the very front where the tractor splits between the mid and front sections of the tractor. I'm not certain but after close inspection, it appears to be leaking out of the gasket. When I drained the fluids, I don't remember having a leak there and I feel like the fluid was much thicker than the HD/Trans fluid that I put in. Is it possible that the gasket dried out? I would imagine that it is the original gasket from the factory. I had the fluid drained for about a year with the drain plugs removed for painting purposes. All top fill plugs/dip sticks were not removed. I'm hoping there is a solution available that does not involve splitting the tractor. I can probably loosen up the nuts/bolts a bit with a propane torch and my ratchet/sockets however, I am not equipped properly to actually separate the two sections as I do not have any stands, lifts, etc. to evenly distribute the weight. Just for a little history, the tractor sat in my grandmother's barn for about 25 years collecting dust. After installing new coil, spark plug wires, rebuilt carburetor, I was able to get it running about a year ago. I only let it run for about 20 seconds just to make sure it still ran. It ran great but I didn't want to run it too long with all of the old fluids in the tractor. Afterwards, I started the teardown, drained fluids, etc. Any guidance/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I can't begin to tell you all how much I greatly appreciate the guidance, assistance, subject matter experts recommended, etc. as I began this rebuild journey back in 2019.

Thank You,

Linden

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters