Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Mowing in dry California

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
37 chief
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Mowing in dry California Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here in Calif. people get notices to cut dry weeds before a fire starts, and burns their hose down. Some of my customers call as soon as they get the notices, when the weather is cooler. Others wait, then call just before the city has their crews do the work. Charging three times what I would charge. I don't mind doing the work, except this time of this time of the year the fire hazard is very high. Tomorrow I am doing the same field I started a fire on last year from a rock strike. I got it out with the help of a couple gardeners working on the house next door. Had they not showed up I would have made the 5 o'clock news. Doing the same field tomorrow. This year I have an extra fire extinguisher and a shove, and rake attached to my mower. Do any of you have to deal with fires this time of the year? Stan

danofarming
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Mowing in dry California Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What kind of Mower? Extinguisher? Here in Tennessee I have never started a fire with a mower, but it has happened in EXTREME drought.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Mowing in dry California Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most years our fire season is spring after the snow melts but before the new grass starts growing. We have a whole year of dead grass and last years leaves just waiting for a spark. We are almost that dry again this year. That is unusual for us.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Mowing in dry California Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not yet but we will be

37 chief
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Mowing in dry California Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In the past 26 years mowing , I have started small fires with my woods 6 ft rotary, and a couple with my 7 1/2 ft flail mower. Only one almost got away from me. This time of the year the fire dept wants mowing to stop around 11am.Stan

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Mowing in dry California Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here in northwest Iowa we are green enough this time of year to eliminate the widespread fire danger. I'm not saying we are 100 percent safe but the chances are slim for anything involving a field. Later in the fall or early to mid spring is when we can have a corn stalk field or CRP land go up in smoke.

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Mowing in dry California Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like it should be a night time operation! When things are more damp, and a spark/flame is more visible.

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Mowing in dry California Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Let's say you made the 5 news. Would you pay a fine or your insurance pay for damages?

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Mowing in dry California Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Similar here in NY. It's unusual for it to get dry enough, but it has a couple of times. So our benevolent lawmakers have decreed it illegal to burn from mid March to mid May. Doesn't matter that we may have just gotten a foot of snow, or an inch of rain!

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Mowing in dry California Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have used my 15 gal atv sprayer filled with water(and a few drops of Dawn to break up the drops). It has worked good for stopping small grass fires. Mounted to your tractor frame or behind the seat.

DoubleO7
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Mowing in dry California Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-37 chief wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:12:42 06/15/21) Here in Calif. people get notices to cut dry weeds before a fire starts, and burns their hose down. Some of my customers call as soon as they get the notices, when the weather is cooler. Others wait, then call just before the city has their crews do the work. Charging three times what I would charge. Stan

Are those notices a public record that you can look for online?
Create a sliding scale upward as the deadline gets closer.
Then charge an amount making it very worth while to you to jump when they call in a panic.

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Mowing in dry California Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Code enforcement can tell owner they have to mow
after grass is more than 8 inches tall. I don't
know of anyone who has been sited for tall grass.
Usually code enforcement only responds if someone
complains.

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Mowing in dry California Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Create a sliding scale upward as the deadline gets closer.

My thoughts exactly.

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Mowing in dry California Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is early always humid enough to not have to really worry about that on summer. In winter the indoors air gets very dry but outside the snow and cold its humid outside.

Two falls were very dry like that in my life, combining was very nervous, it was so staticy and dry and everything seemed ready to cumbust. Scary times.

Paul

Bob N.Y.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Mowing in dry California Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The rain we got today would dowse any fire.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters