Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

John Deere R

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreenEnvy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:26 pm    Post subject: John Deere R Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Best tractor ever made??? That is all.

Pete in MD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere R Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not by a long shot.

John Deere D
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere R Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JD R had only 5 forward gears...

Rear axels were to small for the weight of the tractor and torque of the engine...........

JD 80 solved the above engineering overlooks...

Farmed with JD Rs.........

Yes, they ran on dam near 0 fuel.....

We sawed 1000's of thousands of board feet of pine lumber....

In my honest opinion the JD R was ok.......

Bob...

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere R Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I want one

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere R Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So still Better than anything the competition had

fdt860
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere R Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a Massey Harris 55 Diesel and I think it was better and more powerful for sure.
All the MM GT Line tractors were much better than an R, but LP.
Also the Oliver 99 was probably the best workhorse in the day? (So probably all AGCO tractors were better than the Deere at that time). But less dealers like today.

derwen1959
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere R Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is top speed of R?
Any good for uk road runs??

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere R Reply to specific post Reply with quote

not really, john deere's first diesel though. has no centre main brg. basically was competition to the wd9 in the ih line. say in 1954 when the super wd9 came out the r was left far behind.

Fordy20
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere R Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Spent many happy hours on an R as a teenager and it was a great tractor in it's day but hardly the best tractor ever. We didn't have a PTO or hydraulics but I think the Rs had problems with PTOs. The 80 was a big improvement in power.

DR. EVIL
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere R Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The SUPER M-TA which was our field work tractor for 3-4 years before Dad bought an R would run circles around the R. First thing we did with the R was plow 40 acres of alfalfa sod, R couldn't pull 4-14's in 3rd so I had to slog along in 2nd, even had one clay hill I had to stop, shift to 1st, pjll the hill then stop znd shift back to 2nd.
We plowed that 40 around the outside in circles, Dad was running the SM-TA pulling 3-14 IH #8 plow, he was running in 3rd gear, over 1 mph faster than the R, He'd catch me and start rounding the corners more, when I finally caught him he set sail again. The SM-TA and the R were within ONE Horsepower of each other. That little magic lever you pull without stopping that increases your pull power 45% increased the amount of ground you covered a L-O-T. Yes, the SM-TA burned more gas than the R burned fuel, but the SM-TA had a REAL ROAD GEAR, 16-1/2 mph, R poked along 11 mph, same speed the SM-TA ran in low side of 5th.
Dad got the R a couple days before Christmas, put Char-Lynn power assist steering one it since it was supposed to be My TRACTOR. WAS only 4-5 weeks later Dad sold it to the Township road commissioner. He used it to run a pto powered rototiller to chew up chunks of scarified oiled dirt roads. He knocked the PTO out every spring 3 years straight and traded it for an Oliver 770 diesel. I ran that 770 ten years later,
I never heard about the R's rear axles being weak before, as many tractors Deere had built by 1949 you would think they would have tested things a bit before they started selling them. You guys all bad mouth IH about the 460/560, and you DO rezlize EVERY 8010 except one was reworked and returned to the original owner as an 8020, terminal transmission failure.
The R had a gutless underpowered pony motor, 2 cylinder, not the V-4 every other 2 cyl diesel had, weak pto, it really needed 6 speeds, the ergonomics were absolutely terrible, keep in mind I'm TEN years old trying to run this beast.
Guess what DAD'S next tractor was after the R? Yep, another FARMALL, a 450 gas with Fast Hitch. A REAL 4-bottom tractor.

GreenEnvy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere R Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The R did stop production in 1954 so it did get left behind in that way. Sales though were strong right up to the end so who one the battle. In fact the 2 cylinder diesels are tractors IH wished JD never made because they caught up to IH and might have even outsold IH toward the end. I actually don't believe the R was near the best JD ever made. I just threw it out there to see who and what kind of a response there would be.

coonie minnie
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere R Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here's how to kill your precious MTA.... the final drives made it a season and a half. It died a couple fields after this picture.

The 4020 that replaced it is still here. 52 years and 30,000 hours later.

My family had been Farmall prior to WWII, and Deere and MM after. The MTA was the one red tractor bought after the war... and the most hated. The rear end failed twice- once on the planter, once plowing wit 3-16s. The PTO clutch couldn't take the Deere 116W baler, so grandpa would use his A JD to save himself repair bills.

The Deeres and MMs my family bougt after the war are still here, and even my great grandfather's F-30. But the MTA left in 1969, and nobody has missed it since.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere R Reply to specific post Reply with quote

4 x 14 is pretty good load I pull 3x14 with 70 horsepower and I have pulled it with 115 horsepower and 13000 pounds and still had all I wanted

NY 986
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere R Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know that this is not the MM board but I know you mentioned a U. What others do you have?

coonie minnie
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere R Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Half a dozen U's... my great uncles bought 2 new, and the balance used.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters