Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

wiring diagram needed for 2n converted to 12 V

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Total
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:39 pm    Post subject: wiring diagram needed for 2n converted to 12 V Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello All : I'm looking for wiring diagram for 2n converted to 12 V . the alternator is not charging . I took the alternator to a shop and it checks out ok . So wiring must be the issue . thanks .

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: wiring diagram needed for 2n converted to 12 V Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Google wiring diagrams JMOR and find the one that fits your tractor.
75 Tips

Tim PloughNman Daley
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: wiring diagram needed for 2n converted to 12 V Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you have a fan belt tensioning device connected?* Whether a GEN or an ALT, without proper belt tension you will NEVER charge your battery. Next, you need to get your battery tested under load on a test machine. Your local starter/alt shop is best source, and if weak or bad, replace with a good brand (DEKA, INTERSTATE, DURACELL, EXIDE) GRP 35 AG type and eschew the bargain-house brands which are notorious for poor lifespans. Next would be to have the ESSENTIAL MANUALS -best tools to see exactly what the OEM 6V/POS GRN setup is and use for reference. Did you remove the roundcan cutout when you yanked the GEN off? Is the OEM Ballast Resistor in the circuit still? Any other 'changes' you made to your wiring? So, electrical guru JMOR has a document on how to wire these N's in both the OEM 6V/POS GRN setup and the 12V/NEG GRN setup. He has a pdf document you can download for free on the 'other site' or just use a search engine on the Internet. Plug in: WIRING PICTOGRAMS BY JMOR. Here is a sample of the one you seek.

9N/2N WIRING PICTOGRAM, courtesy of JMOR:

FWIW & FYI:
ALL 9N and 2N models were wired the same from 1940 til end of 2N production in 1947. The 6V/POS GRN system uses: 6V GRP 1 BAT; 1-Wire/3-Brush, 11 AMP, 'A' Circuit GEN, with an OEM or other belt tensioner*; OEM Ballast Resistor; AMMETER; Ignition Switch; Neutral Safety Pushbutton Starter Switch, 1-Wire Starter Motor with NO Solenoid; and all wired correctly. The ignition system has the OEM front mount distributor and coil. Leave alone for now until you get everything else wired. If you messed with the DIST at all, could have done damage, but leave alone for now. Note that lights were never factory installed, always a dealer optional accessory and many were farmerized wiring jobs. Can disconnect lights til you get wiring corrected and reconnect (correctly) after. Breaker Points set at .015, Spark Plug = Champion 14mm H12 or AUTO-LITE 437 gap set at .025; firing order = 1,2,4,3 CCW.

Tim Daley(MI)

jimtrs
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: wiring diagram needed for 2n converted to 12 V Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Total wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:39:08 06/16/21) .....the alternator is not charging. I took the alternator to a shop and it checks out ok. So wiring must be the issue

You're making an assumption that besides a correctly working alternator that there is only one other factor (wiring) in a working charging system.

Tim PloughNman Daley
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: wiring diagram needed for 2n converted to 12 V Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try this:

NOTE: When doing a 12V switch over job on the front mount distributor, if you use the OEM 6V coil, you will need to add an inline external 1-OHM resistor in the circuit in addition to the OEM Ballast Resistor. You can opt to buy a 12V coil and discard any additional external resistor but know that regardless if the OEM 6V system or a 12V job is used, the OEM Ballast Resistor is still wired into the circuit -don't confuse them. See the 12V setup in JMOR's WIRING PICTOGRAMS below.

Tim Daley(MI)

Tim PloughNman Daley
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: wiring diagram needed for 2n converted to 12 V Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Too-Shay Jimbo! FACT: 99.98% of all non-starting issues are due to mucked up wiring regardless if 6V or 12V. Many 12V jobs get done incorrectly because fellas just don't understand the 6V/POS GRN system and get frustrated only after trying numerous things, including needlessly replacing with all new parts. They then assume the 'fix' is to go to 12V. You can use whichever system you want -it's your tractor -just be sure it is wired correctly for that system and do not guess, assume, or take shortcuts. The 6V system is the most misunderstood item with old FORDs and the front mount distributor is second.

Tim Daley(MI)

Total
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: wiring diagram needed for 2n converted to 12 V Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the help everyone . When I first bought the tractor all the wiring was scary , I fixed the connections ,but did not change how it was wired , just repaired. The old tractor starts great ,just pull out the choke and push the button and it is running .I suspect that the alternator is wired incorrectly , but I will post what I find .

Total
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring diagram needed for 2n converted to 12 V Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Total wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:51:59 06/17/21)
Thanks for the help everyone . When I first bought the tractor all the wiring was scary , I fixed the connections ,but did not change how it was wired , just repaired. The old tractor starts great ,just pull out the choke and push the button and it is running .I suspect that the alternator is wired incorrectly , but I will post what I find .

As suspected the wiring was wrong . The wire going through the diode was running to the same point and the ammeter . changed the spot to the load side of the ignition switch and all is good .

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters