Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1650G Power Steering

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrotherJoe
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:55 am    Post subject: 1650G Power Steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey all,

I just got a straight, 1650 (looks like it's a '66) and noticed on the drive home that the steering wanders. In the course of a mile or so you probably do 1 or 2 complete revolutions of the steering wheel to the left to keep it going straight.

At the moment, besides needing a seat and a muffler, that's about the most annoying thing I want to dig into

Is this a leak in the steering box?

kevinecwi
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1650G Power Steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That does seem excessive, but I notice
that on mine also when driving down the
road. In the field I never even think
about it. I believe parts are available to
convert to the char-lynn style steering
motor under the dash. Pricey but may fix
the issue.

Mike(NEOhio)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1650G Power Steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Odd that it's all one direction. Wouldn't hurt to check the toe-in.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1650G Power Steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's most likely the hydra motor. No parts available to rebuild them, just have to find a good replacement or live with it. A lot
of combines of that vintage used the same hydra motor.

alberta dave
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1650G Power Steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our 1650 did the same. Always had to do a steady slow crank to the left to keep it going in a straight
line. One of my 1850's was doing that but to a lesser degree but suddenly the steering became dead when
driving up steep hills and was locking. One of the chaps here on this website suggested that I clean out the flow
divider block which regulates the flow of fluid to the steering. I found a small distorted light piece of
round metal and a half inch long metal shard in the block. Cleaned the block out and the 1850 steers much
better. Now if I could only find time to rebuild the leaky steering cylinder under the radiator.....

BrotherJoe
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1650G Power Steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-rrlund wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:54:10 06/20/21) It's most likely the hydra motor. No parts available to rebuild them, just have to find a good replacement or live with it. A lot
of combines of that vintage used the same hydra motor.

Any way to verify? It is a NF, and outside of odd jobs/wagon duty around the farm, I'm probably going to paint it up and use it for tractor rides, so, thats why it's a bit annoying Smile.

I see someone indicated checking the flow divider, can do that too.

Thanks folks,

J

ziffel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: 1650G Power Steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

FIRST..Clean the flow divider and install a new hyd filter. You may find bits of silver in the flow divider from a collapsed filter. Those are the easiest and cheapest first things you can do. Good luck..

J. Schwiebert
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1650G Power Steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You are going to have a little internal leakage.

BrotherJoe
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1650G Power Steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-J. Schwiebert wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:35:33 06/20/21) You are going to have a little internal leakage.

Thanks guys; easy stuff first, but, yea, it's a 60 year old machine..

LSaunders
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1650G Power Steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 1850 has been doing that for the 35 years I've had it. Don't notice it in the field, on the road it's about like you describe. So far it's still going. Knocking on wood as I write this.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters