Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

CASE 310G STARTER WOES

View previous topic :: View next topic  
skido
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:56 am    Post subject: CASE 310G STARTER WOES Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 1969 Case 310G SN/3039533 with a 188D diesel engine SN/ 2657658. When I first got it it had 1 12V battery and wouldn't start without starting fluid, not enough cranking rpm. It had 2 battery cases so I added a second battery and wired it in series for 24 volts (I don't know if this is proper or if I should have wired it parallel).

Not original starter, only 1 bolt held this starter on but it's worked fine for 15 years on 24V. Then, solenoid would click but no start. I sent it out to be rebuilt but the rebuilder had a proper starter for this engine where all three bolts connected it to the bell housing.
This starter has no solenoid (direct drive?). It has a 12V relay with a solid copper strap to the starter.
Problem: Where does the ammeter lead go, hot, S, I, or switched?
Also seeking advice on the parallel or series battery hookup.

mEl
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: CASE 310G STARTER WOES Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What kind of a charging system do you have on it? I hope you got the Gear Reduction starter and not another Delco. The newer style starters are much superior. with a diesel you should only have two smaller wires, one a little heavier that supplies the switch and one to engage the solenoid. You do not need 24 V to start that engine if it is in good condition.Needless to say if you did not update the charging system to 24 V you were constantly charging batteries.

skido
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: CASE 310G STARTER WOES Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's a 12V alternator. Didn't seem to cause battery charging problems, nevertheless I'm going to rewire in parallel. The starter looks ancient. No solenoid.

This post was edited by skido on 06/18/2021 at 04:12 pm.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters