Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Summer down-time - Farmall leak fixes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChampagneNBeer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:51 am    Post subject: Summer down-time - Farmall leak fixes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi All,

During the down time over the summer, going to tackle fixing some leaks on the lesser used tractors...

First up is the Farmall 200:

Attached are images of some leaks (apologies in advanced for poor images).

Looks like a rear wheel hub leak, hydraulic pump leak and front steering bolster leak.

Any input on what seals are likely to cause these leaks?

The challenge of fixing the leaks and/or any tips and tricks for completing?

1st: Rear wheel hub - looks like the leak is seeping out the hub, unless it is further in but only seeping out there?

2nd: Steering bolster looks like it is the plug or the bottom of the bolster to frame seal...

3rd: Hydraulic leak looks like from housing to frame seal as well...

I have no issues with buying all/extra seals in case I need them and/or upon teardown find something else AND actually would prefer to replace all seals, even if not needed since it is pulled apart and easy to tackle at that time.

Thanks

560Dennis
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Summer down-time - Farmall leak fixes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tell you what! thats the closest Ive ever seen a wheel to the axle housing ? Are you pulling with the 200 ?

ChampagneNBeer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Summer down-time - Farmall leak fixes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi 560,

Thanks for the reply.

Cannot speak to it's previous life as I picked it up late last fall along with a handful of fast hitch implements.

I agree on the closeness of the wheels though - was one of the first things I noticed after cleaning her up a bit and getting her running - then hearing clankity clank clank of the chains hitting the fenders.

As for my usage, will mostly be used for low HP work like raking, sickle mowing, sprayer work and maybe tandem discing, drag harrow and cultipacting for seed bed prep and possibly using the sod buster or chisel plow every once in a while for smaller plot sections.

kossuth
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer down-time - Farmall leak fixes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-ChampagneNBeer wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:58:31 06/19/21) Hi 560,

Thanks for the reply.

Cannot speak to it's previous life as I picked it up late last fall along with a handful of fast hitch implements.

I agree on the closeness of the wheels though - was one of the first things I noticed after cleaning her up a bit and getting her running - then hearing clankity clank clank of the chains hitting the fenders.

As for my usage, will mostly be used for low HP work like raking, sickle mowing, sprayer work and maybe tandem discing, drag harrow and cultipacting for seed bed prep and possibly using the sod buster or chisel plow every once in a while for smaller plot sections.
While I dont have any direct experience with these tractors I will say this. If your luck is anything like mine plan on putting more than just seals in it. Just did axle seals on my granddads 8n a few months back and it needed seals, bearings, a bearing retainer, and all that fun stuff. Granted not the same setup but plan on it snowballing.

560Dennis
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer down-time - Farmall leak fixes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your bolstering doesnt look to bad , change oil in it ,power wash outside with purple power or degregreser . My seventy year old C bolster leak worse .
I cant say why your touch control block is leaking . Power wash it . And observe it too soucre of leak . Mine in that area the drain plug was loose . Tighten it and seems to be ok .
Suggest you change the differential oil ,with a straight gl1 sae @90 wt . Thats probably never been changed . Get something big enough to hold 6 gallons ore more ,only hold five. Then it around and then drain it . Youll have to remove drain plug and stick a screwdriver up into the hole to piece the sludge several times . Might take a day to drain it. Or more. I used five gallons of kerosene to flush it out after I drove it around the hills oil the yard . Drain it out . Put in 5 gallons of sae 90 .
Run a magnet in bottom differential hole to see if theres any pieces of gear or wire or pins in ther thats not supposed to be ther. Done to of them and found pin and wire .
Reason I say sae 90 mineral gl1 , I made the mistake of putting in sae 80/90 in the differential . There are bronze bushings in that differential e ,the high sulphur extra pressure additives 80 90 attacked the bronze . Found bronze fret in the bottom of the differential after a year,, found the oil turn a gray color and stunk bad , I had to drain it and flush it out. All again .
Got it straight sae 90 from Napa for about 80 dollars made by valvoline.
Good luck

caterpillar guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Summer down-time - Farmall leak fixes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm going to say you might want to check the shim adjustment to the axle bearings while you have the seal cap off. the shims may have been slightly loose from the last time it was apart or never quite right from new. This will help with longer future seal life and a new wear sleeve would clean up the shaft wear for your new seal. I tighen the axle snug without the shims and gasket slip in feeler gauges till the right thickness is read then mic shims to check thickness of shim stack without gasket then mic gasket and add together ad a bit for gasket crush as you tighten bolts. Shaft should not wiggle when right. I would suppose there should be a preload on the bearings when done. Not had a 200 apart before. 1466 would be similar with similar program.

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer down-time - Farmall leak fixes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

to fix the leak in the steering sector you need to take it apartthere is a seal at the bottom but you will need to remove all the parts on that shaft to get to the seal.I have fixed a bunch of them and it is quite a job but in the end no leaks fill with 90wt when done so all the bearings get lubed the fill plug is the level when full

ChampagneNBeer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Summer down-time - Farmall leak fixes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Gene,

Thank you for the reply. Yes, it seemed like a larger job than just a simple seal.

Aside from the bottom seal - any recommendations on additional fix-it now/change items when have pulled apart?

Example, when cleaning carb and fuel bowl I just replace all the old fuel lines on a new to me tractor as it is easier to do in that moment vs having an issue down the road.

Actually, just did thst on the 200, and also pulled the tank and flushed, cleaned and rust sealed - figured hey, have apart, may as well tackle for the extra couple hours and get it done

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters