Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

484 Dim switch wiring

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulietools
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:29 am    Post subject: 484 Dim switch wiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi all. New here with a 484 we bought for our small horse farm. Its got approx 5200 hours. Runs great but all the wiring was hacked up by the PO.
I have bought all the manuals I can find and none of the wiring shows the dim switch.
Does anybody have a good diagram they can share or maybe a picture of theirs wired up?
Thanks.

caterpillar guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: 484 Dim switch wiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It should be one position of the light switch I believe. Look for the switch positions on line. I found it for my 806 when looking at wiring in a couple LED lights on the front. Mine was so hard to see I gave up looking and found the positions that way.

used red MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: 484 Dim switch wiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello Paulie welcome to YT! The CNHI parts diagram for
the Notth American version shows a ..dip.. switch which is
the European word for head light dimming. In the link it is
number 18, if you are viewing this on a phone you need to
click the picture icon at the bottom to see the diagram. The
switch is only available in limited stock, which requires
calling a dealer. The wiring diagram I have also does not
show the connections for it. If the wiring is chopped up
short of buying new harnesses, you will probably just have
to compromise and work with what you have. I am all for
having something work as it did originally, but you have to
weigh your options as to how deep you want to go. Explain
more what you a looking to accomplish, for me if I could get
the light switch to power the headlights at at their highest
intensity and also turn them off that would work for me. I
would asked you to post a picture of this but to eliminate
spammers and unwanted pictures this site limits picture
posting until you have a 5 post count.
CNHI 484 dash parts diagram

JimB2
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 484 Dim switch wiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi welcome to YT.
On the 484 the head light Dim is one of the positions on the light switch.

See link below for 484 wiring diagram, there is a serial number break for early and later 484s.
484 Electrical Diagram

Paulietools
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: 484 Dim switch wiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you all for the replies. The wiring diagram is the same as the one I have in the service manual I purchased. It doesn't show the Dim(Dip) switch in the
diagram anywhere.
I have replaced the headlight switch and it doesn't control the dim in any of the positions. It controls the headlights and the work lights. I have purchased a
new dim switch and it is on the way, the old one was rusted solid.
Please keep the replies coming.

JimB2
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: 484 Dim switch wiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi, is your 484 an assembled in Louisville, KY, USA model on is Canadian model that is more like the European models.
What is on the serial tag? Made in Great Britain or Louisville, KY, USA?
Does it have Delco alternator and starter (USA) or Lucas (European)?
The wiring diagrams are different for the Louisville, KY, USA models.

MARK ROBKE
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: 484 Dim switch wiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am guessing your dim-hi/lo- switch is by your left knee at the bottom of the dash, like my 485. It is just going to send power to the headlamp bulbs. 1 terminal on the bulb is low beam, one is hi beam and one is ground. Look at the wires-the left bulb feeds the right, read the numbers, and go back to the switch. I think the switch will have 3 terminals and the center one will be power from the main light switch. The upper and lower go out to the bulbs. The high beam may have an extra wire to feed the dash indicator. As easy as it is all to get to, if the wiring is a total mess, I would run new wires. Put it in loom. The wire from the main switch that is only hot in the 2 far most right position is the headlights, and goes to the dimmer switch. I think the main switch has the flasher built into itself for fender flashers. The tail lamp is only on in the far right most position. Mark.

Paulietools
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 484 Dim switch wiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can't see the serial number because it hidden behind the loader frame but it is my understanding that these tractors were built in England.
From reading the operators manual it is a later model tractor and it has a Lucas Alternator on it so I am fairly convinced that it was made in England.

Yes you are correct the switch is done by my left knee. The original switch was removed and "stored" in the foot rest toolbox.

The wiring is all hacked up and while I want to restore the original functionality since this will be a working tractor and not a restoration I am fine with adding replacement wiring. I was just hoping for guidance on the wire colors that were originally attached to the switch so i can attempt to locate them under the dash.

Paulietools
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 484 Dim switch wiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can't see the serial number because it hidden behind the loader frame but it is my understanding that these tractors were built in England.
From reading the operators manual it is a later model tractor and it has a Lucas Alternator on it so I am fairly convinced that it was made in England.

Yes you are correct the switch is done by my left knee. The original switch was removed and "stored" in the foot rest toolbox.

The wiring is all hacked up and while I want to restore the original functionality since this will be a working tractor and not a restoration I am fine with adding replacement wiring. I was just hoping for guidance on the wire colors that were originally attached to the switch so i can attempt to locate them under the dash.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters