Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Mini Alternator question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chcopela
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:21 am    Post subject: Mini Alternator question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I need some info on using this 3 pin mini alternator for my 74 140 12v generator to alternator conversion.
How do I wire this 3 pin alternator for my 140. I tried using the wiring diagram in the link below with no success. I know the commonly used alternator for this conversion only has 2 pins. Can I even use this alternator? It is internally regulated.
If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/441000988516705503/

wore out
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Mini Alternator question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

chcopela wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:21:16 06/23/21) I need some info on using this 3 pin mini alternator for my 74 140 12v generator to alternator conversion.
How do I wire this 3 pin alternator for my 140. I tried using the wiring diagram in the link below with no success. I know the commonly used alternator for this conversion only has 2 pins. Can I even use this alternator? It is internally regulated.
If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.

The diagram and attached information at the link you posted seems straight-forward enough.

If you have it connected as shown it should work, what exact issue are you having?

chcopela
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Mini Alternator question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am not getting a charge. Charge indicator is flashing intermittently at a fast pace. Battery load tester shows no charge at the battery.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Mini Alternator question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Assuming it is wired as shown in the diagram, the alternator needs to be checked at a parts store, or auto electric shop. Jim

used red MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Mini Alternator question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

IG is wired to your on-off switch, the side that supplies the
plus side of the coil before the resistor for the coil if it has
one. Take a short wire and jump from S over to the B
terminal on the back of the alt. Run a 10 ga wire from the B
terminal to the ammeter terminal that has a wire feeding
the ignition and the lights. If you are not sure which
terminal is correct on the ammeter disconnect the battery
cable and unhook all the wires from the ammeter making
sure you label or take a picture to put them back on as they
were and make sure that are not touching any metal.
Reconnect the battery a check which side of the gauge has a wire that would connect to it that is powered. After unhooking the battery connect the 10 gauge wire
to the OPPOSITE terminal. Reconnect the wires to the ammeter. Remove and tape the Gen and
F wires from the regulator. I believe the charge light circuit
is optional in this system.

used red MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Mini Alternator question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you take the regulator for the generator out of the
system?

wore out
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Mini Alternator question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

chcopela wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:58:31 06/23/21) I am not getting a charge. Charge indicator is flashing intermittently at a fast pace. Battery load tester shows no charge at the battery.

Is the drive belt TIGHT and does the drive belt match the pulleys?

chcopela
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Mini Alternator question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The regulator is off and I did not reuse any wiring except the coil wire.

Belt and pulley are V

used red MN- I will check it out tonight

Gibby
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Mini Alternator question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So I would just go get a Delco si from the cheapest auto parts store you can find. It is a single wire alternator and it will
charge your system. It you want the gauges and or idiot light to work, you take rubber plug off and wire it up as the link
below. I did this on a British MF240 and it has been great. It cost me 53 dollars and three connectors. Allot cheaper than the
Lucas replacement 240+ and I can go to the local car parts place to get the replacement - if it should ever fail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVUL0S704AE&ab_channel=PlatinumGarage

chcopela
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Mini Alternator question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So this evening I when out and double checked the belt tension with no change in charging. I then wired it using the jumper wire and removed the light from the circuit.
When I first started the tractor the amp meter went all the way to the right for a moment then bounced from zero to about 30 amps a couple of times before stopping on zero and staying there. I checked for charge at the battery with none reading. Could it be a bad alternator?

wore out
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Mini Alternator question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

chcopela wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:01:57 06/24/21) So this evening I when out and double checked the belt tension with no change in charging. I then wired it using the jumper wire and removed the light from the circuit.
When I first started the tractor the amp meter went all the way to the right for a moment then bounced from zero to about 30 amps a couple of times before stopping on zero and staying there. I checked for charge at the battery with none reading. Could it be a bad alternator?

" I checked for charge at the battery with none reading."

How exactly did you do this, inductive ammeter, series ammeter, voltmeter??? Or?

(NOT trying to be critical, but for any of us to accurately help you we need exact details of what you are doing and have done.)

chcopela
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Mini Alternator question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Battery load tester as stated in an earlier post

Klein Rot
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Mini Alternator question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello chcopela,

Last year i put an alternator from a Subaru Vivio on my W4 tractor. I put a pressure switch in the oil line that switches the ig terminal to the + of the battery when the engine has oil pressure. The generator start to charge immediately for a few minutes and then turn down, the charge voltage is about 14Volt. (the ammeter is still in place and all light bulbs are 12 volt)
I took out the regulator internals out. On the picture you see the regulator in place but it has no use other than cover the fuse for the pressure switch.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters