Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

850 NH Roller FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big un
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: 850 NH Roller FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well,I had a first.A broken rake tooth got picked up by the old 850 and stuck through the bottom on the baler.It got into the floor chain in the center of the baler and the fire was on.Guess you say that the good lord was lookin out for me.I smelled smoke and immediately dumped the roll.As so as that thing hit the ground it blew up in flames.We were blessed that the fire dept was only about 2 miles down the road.Man,that was well on the way to gettin uglyy.

Bigun

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 850 NH Roller FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Saw a blurb in Farmshow or somewhere that showed how a guy mounted two air pressurized water tanks with hoses on his round baler. Said he"s put out tractor fires and hay fires and is just waiting for the baler fire. I think he made the tanks out of something like 12" PVC pipe and just charged them to a few pounds pressure. 6 or 8 gallons of water out of a 3/8" plastic hose will put out a lot of fire I think. I hope to copy the idea.

R. John Johnson
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 850 NH Roller FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bigun

I burned up a Vermeer baler a few years back. The two things that stick in my mind were how hot it got and how fast it burned. Not pretty

John

IaGary

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 850 NH Roller FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The way my baler has been acting and the insurance that it carries. I would be tempted to pull the pin and let it burn. Shocked

Anonymous

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 850 NH Roller FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll reserve comment on the relative safety of pvc.

Put a good squirt of dishwashing soap in with the water. It'll help the water to soak into materials like hay rather then roll off.

I carry a 2.5 gallon pressurized water extinguisher w/ foam issued by the fire company. Should buy one for my other car, too -- $85 or so and a refill involves a pair of channel locks and a tire chuck on a 100psi compressor. That's enough pressure the water doesn't freeze during the winter.

Might not extinguish a fire, but I've kept car fires and the like confined to the engine compartment and out of the passenger compartment and off the tires for 10 minutes waiting for an Engine to show up.

A 20# Dry Chem + 2.5 gallon can to cool off the stuff after the dry chem knocks the fire and you're talking some serious firefighting capability.

Allan in NE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: 850 NH Roller FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well Yeah,

But, were you able to salvage the rake tooth? :>)

Allan

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters