Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Leaking oil, what is this?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Titaniumxii
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:36 am    Post subject: Leaking oil, what is this? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a slow oil drip coming from the underside of my Farmall 100. Before I start taking things apart to see if I just need to replace some gaskets and such, what is this cover with wingnut for, and is all the oil coming out if I open this up, or is this for something else?

Circle is where the drip is coming from, X is the cover with wingnut. Hard to tell if oil is leaking out this cover or from the seam just to the right of where its dripping.

Also, why is it so hard to post to this forum? I get flagged every single time and I have not said anything even remotely vulgar??

This post was edited by Titaniumxii on 08/11/2021 at 06:36 am.

DanMD
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil, what is this? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The leak could be the rear main seal. It could also be other things above and forward of the location and the oil migrates there. You can remove the clutch inspection cover and see if it is dry in there or not. That will tell you a lot. There shouldn't be any oil under that cover.

This post was edited by DanMD on 08/11/2021 at 06:55 am.

Dave BN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil, what is this? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The inspection cover with the wing nut is to see forward of there. You
will see the back side if the flywheel which is where the timing mark
is. You may also be able to tell more about you oil leak looking in
there but I doubt it. Removing the cover between the oil pan and torque
tube(bell housing) may give you a better look.
Dave

the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil, what is this? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Welp , ya could have the rear crank seal leaking or ya could have the ft. transmission seal leaking . So now just how bad is it and what is causing it . As for the crank seal it could be that it is JUST OLD and is now wore out or it could be more problems that caused it to leak like excessive main bearing clearance and allowing the crank to bounce around and is hammering the seal out . As for the ft. seal on the transmission input shaft here again AGE and OR the ft bearing is getting old. As with any OLD tractor / car/ truck what ever ing loose and allowing the input to jump up and down . And one never knows what one will find when you open up Pandora 's box .

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil, what is this? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That compartment is supposed to be dry. It contains the main clutch and the input shaft for the transmission.

The hole the oil is dripping from is the access hole to grease the throwout bearing on the clutch.

The cover with the wingnut is the inspection hole for the clutch and engine ignition timing. You will not be able to see much in this hole, as the rear main engine seal is covered by the flywheel and the transmission input seal is a ways back in towards the rear.

I highly highly recommend picking up at least an owner's manual for this tractor. You spent how many hundreds or thousands on this tractor. It's not worth it to quibble over $30-40 for an owner's manual that would tell you what fluids go where, how much, how to check them, where to grease the tractor, and what those holes are for.

Red Dave
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil, what is this? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The only oil seals above that cover are the rear main crankshaft seal, and the seal at the rear end of the camshaft. Both require splitting the tractor and removing the flywheel to gain access.

If it was the transmission leaking, you would most likely see it first at the access hole at the rear of the torque tube where you adjust the clutch pedal free play.

The cover with the wingnut does not hold oil (or at least it's not supposed to). It is an access hole to see timing marks on the flywheel. It is not for lubricating the throwout bearing, the throughout bearing grease fitting is accessed through a hole in the left hand side of the bell housing, which is part of the torque tube.

Hate to say it, but the rear main seal is your most likely culprit, in my opinion. You'll have to split the tractor and pull the flywheel to tell for sure. If the leak isn't too bad, I'd consider placing a pan under it. Cheaper, less work too.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil, what is this? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The automated detection system may have issues with your User Name. Just a guess. Ask in feedback form for an answer. Jim

DanMD
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil, what is this? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On my SC, I thought I had a rear main seal leak. I pulled that inspection cover and could see it was dry behind the flywheel. I ended up determining the oil was coming from a bad oil seal on the front of my engine. The oil migrated back along the oil pan lip and collected down at the same spot. So it might not be the rear main if it is dry inside of the clutch inspection hole.

used red MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil, what is this? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tatainium welcome to YT! I will attach a link to the CNHI online parts diagrams for your tractor. Open it and go to 04-
Drivetrain. Then select 07-06 it will show the housing and what is in it, quite often the term used for it is ..torque tube.. and
as others said it should not have oil in it. Then go back to Drivetrain and select 07-10, number 27 will be your trans front
seal. Now the tricky part, IH used a paper saving plan where by the engine was not shown in the tractor parts book.
Rather the engine had its own book, so if it was used in multiple pieces of equipment there would only be one parts
reference book needed instead of printing it all in every book. Your tractor is one of the earliest examples I have seen
where this is utilized. So in the CNHI part site go to the top and click the drop down to the right of the Search box and
select Model. Type in C-123, it should pop up, click that and you will be in. Open Complete Machine, then B16, there
number 5 is your rear engine crankshaft seal. Parts 2 and 4 hold the seal and can come loose and let gasket 6 leak. Part
11 is the cam plug that has a slight possibility of leaking. And as others have said to replace it the tractor need to be split.
As far as being difficult to post here that is because you are working against some filters that normally do not let you post
a picture here until you have a post count of 5. That is set to stop unfriendlys from posting some ..not so family oriented..
photos on a family oriented site. So somehow you made it past that, I see you did the same on your previous post about
the over running clutch. So you must have some kind of computer vex going on. Lol!
CNHI Farmall 100 parts diagrams

Titaniumxii
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil, what is this? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Okay I figured out the reason it wasn't letting me post. I upload my images to imgur so all I did was remove the photo, posted it, then edited it with the photo on it. Wasn't pertaining to my screen name or wording. That said...

It has been in the family for nearly 70 years. My guess is just that its old and leaking somewhere, as it basically has been used hard every year and never really maintained according to what a manual would say. I guess I just want to clarify some things...

So, if it is just engine oil accumulating in that spot, its not a big deal. It barely burns any oil, and its always full. I was brush hogging (very hard) yesterday, and it started to sputter and I noticed the Oil temp gauge went to red. My front radiator was caked with leaves and other debris, so I made that the culprit. It ran just fine again today under similar conditions.

To help alleviate the buildup of debris when brush hogging, I took a piece of thin screen (like what a screen door would have) and placed it over the grille. Doesn't seem to affect airflow at all, but hopefully can filter out and easier to clean while using than having to remove the grille. Any other solutions for this are welcomed.

Okay, so does this tractor have its own transmission fluid? What about the hydraulics that power the deck and rear hitch, do they have fluids somewhere?

I found buried a complete one point fast hitch assembly and I installed it today just to see what it would look like. It's pretty dang neat. I see that J-Bar makes a one point fast hitch rotary cutter, which would be handy for tackling undergrowth and hard to reach areas that the belly mower can't go. Aside from that, its just adding some rear weight since I don't have my tires ballasted.

This post was edited by Titaniumxii on 08/11/2021 at 06:38 pm.

used red MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil, what is this? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Separate hydraulic and transmission oils, yes. A tractor that is being worked hard will push more compression gases past
the piston rings and into the crank case. This slightly higher pressure in the engine will push oil against the seals harder.
That I turn will make an engine leak slightly more. Also running at a higher temp increases parts clearances and this
aggravates the above problem. So in normal conditions you may find the machine back to its normal self. If you really
think your tractor has an oil temperature gauge you do indeed need an operators manual. And it will also answer your
questions about the oils. See link.
YT Farmall 100 manual

caterpillar guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil, what is this? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll go with all of those possibilities. I will also guess since the throwout bearing and clutch are inside the cover in question, that it is probably just the oil in the grease. With heat and sling the engine warm to hot and gravity being what it is shows as a leak that may not even be. It will sling off the throwout bearing as it heats up during use and then end up around the side if the clutch housing then run or slowly ozz down to the bottom looking like a leak. If the engine and transmission are not going down. I would not worry about it. wash the outside off if it bothers you as it looks bad to you.

Titaniumxii
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil, what is this? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-used red MN wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:25:37 08/11/21) Separate hydraulic and transmission oils, yes. A tractor that is being worked hard will push more compression gases past
the piston rings and into the crank case. This slightly higher pressure in the engine will push oil against the seals harder.
That I turn will make an engine leak slightly more. Also running at a higher temp increases parts clearances and this
aggravates the above problem. So in normal conditions you may find the machine back to its normal self. If you really
think your tractor has an oil temperature gauge you do indeed need an operators manual. And it will also answer your
questions about the oils. See link.

I think this is a very viable happenstance. I did use some lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer and also change to synthetic in the fall.

As far as the gauge, I figured it was temp based on the white/red sections, but I'm guessing its oil pressure instead? After its really hot and run hard, it gets closer and closer to the red, so that's why I was a bit confused.

The only issue I really have with running it, is when it is going uphill for 30seconds+ while running the mower. It will start to sputter, and eventually stall. When let in the clutch to take all the load off, it instantly revs back to life. If I then wait a few seconds and try to proceed, it'll run for a few seconds then start to sputter again.

So basically its only when going uphill for extended periods, otherwise it can still go up the hills I need it to just fine, so long as it has a break in the elevation.

kshansen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil, what is this? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Also be sure to check the fuel bowel on the fuel tank for getting plugged. My BN was acting up earlier this summer and I found that some crap was getting down in the hole in the inlet and most times could not see it when the fuel bowel/shut off was on the tank.

I ended up finding some fine screen and covered the end of the inlet with it held in place with epoxy and have mowed dozens of time with out a problem.

caterpillar guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking oil, what is this? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The leak you originally posted about has nothing to do with the running. If you are having trouble up hill. How much gas is in it? Might be close to the run out of fuel point. Also could be a fuel flow problem or when at an angle the float rubs the bowl not letting it open and close correctly. Lots of possibilities including ignition wire connections being loose.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters