Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Magneto Rest Stand

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Secret Squirrel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:33 pm    Post subject: Magneto Rest Stand Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Would anyone have or know of a magneto test stand/bench that I could buy. I have always wanted one, and now my magneto man has passed I thought I might try to find one. Thanks. SS

Nordic
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Magneto Rest Stand Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just put mine (gently) in my workbench vise. I use an electric drill with whatever adapter is needed to turn the magneto over. I do agree with you that a proper stand would be nice and an electric motor turning the mag at appropriate speed. Aside from building your own unit it will likely be hard to come by.

John Garner
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Magneto Rest Stand Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's perhaps crass to point out that your magneto man may have left one that his heirs don't want?

TractormanNC
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: Magneto Rest Stand Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get a magneto drive assembly (the part that goes between the timing cover and the magneto)from a Farmall H or M. Remove the gear and replace it with a V belt pulley. Mount it on a stand along with an electric motor. Add a V belt. Make some way to lubricate the bushing.
Saw this used at an IH dealership many moons ago.

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Magneto Rest Stand Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I made a bracket to use my lathe to run them. Works fine but I can't reverse it for JD mags.

dr sportster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Magneto Rest Stand Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sun distributor test machine from eBay.

Huskergreen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Magneto Rest Stand Reply to specific post Reply with quote

teddy52food could you please post a picture of the adapter you made. I have been thinking of doing that for some time. Thanks

rlp in Co.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Magneto Rest Stand Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Many motors are reversible. Perhaps you can add a switch to yours. I wouldn't have a lathe without a reversible motor!

redforlife
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Magneto Rest Stand Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with John Garner. If no family or associates of your magneto guy is going ti take over his magneto business, perhaps his tool/equipment will be for sale/liquadated.
My magneto guy likewise passed away. I did not buy anything he had. Didn't know what all he had to tell ya the truth. Didn't need any mag repairs for years later. But have often wondered if he had equipment to check coils/condensers, something to recharge magnets, and a device to monitor magneto function. I'll never know. I let ti much time pass by. He more than likely had some pretty neat stuff.

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Magneto Rest Stand Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have never had any luck with pictures. Make a piece that the mag bolts to and another that bolts to the bed. get them in line so the mag is centered & weld together. Make a driver to chuck up to turn it.

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Magneto Rest Stand Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The chuck will come off if I reverse it.

rlp in Co.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Magneto Rest Stand Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe, but I have done some thread cutting and machining in reverse with no problems. It's a handy feature to have! I like to bore in reverse, because it is easier to see what's happening!

Huskergreen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Magneto Rest Stand Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, I don't do pictures well either.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters