Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

drill bits

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tractorguy2
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: drill bits Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What's a good brand of drill bits that's not real expensive. Would like to get a set up to 1/2

the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: drill bits Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well for me i buy off Ohio Twist drill . They are located in Homeworth Ohio about 8-10 mile west of me . They use to sharpen them but they stopped that awhile back . We use to take the drill index in and hand it to them and they would replace any missing, broken ones (you paid for the replacement ) and once filled they would take it in the back and the girls would sharpen them . They would make you special drill bits . Small Ma and and PA company out in the middle of nowhere .

Turkeyfoot
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: drill bits Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I really like the winters drill bit city. American made. You can call and talk to Max Winter. I've bought two sets from them.

That is their 29 bit set. Goes up to 1/2. Costs $129.
Comes in nice box hi-moly. Great in the drill press.

M-MAN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: drill bits Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Norseman. The only drill bit I ever owned that is actually sharp when you buy it.

Butch(OH)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: drill bits Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Agreed, Norseman are about the best cost vs quality, the best deals on them are found on eBay.

There is no such thing as a good cheap drill bit in .y life experiences

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: drill bits Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If we needed good bits at work we got them from Fastenal, they were a gold/copper color. The ones they stocked in the storeroom were black, they were OK, but not like the ones from Fastenal.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: drill bits Reply to specific post Reply with quote

These are what I buy there are better bits but these are perfect fit general use . They are really sharp they are hard though so a little on the brittle side
Drill bits

Tony in SD
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: drill bits Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a set from Fastenal. They work well and they sell single bits for replacements too

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: drill bits Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did someone mention drill bits?
I can not lie.
I kind of have drill bit OCD.
All I can say is Buy USA made drill bits! Anything else is well, not exactly.
I'm always on the lookout for good drill bits.
Craigslist, auctions, flea markets - Onesies, twosies on the larger ones.
I would rather have a worn or broken to half length USA made bit than a new, full length China made one. Just resharpen it.
My goal in life is to have morse taper bits from 1/4 - 2in by 64ths. And the drill sharpeners to sharpen them. Smile
Here are some of mine. These are mostly taper style.
The one in my hand is an nos Cleveland brand. Was still in the red, oiled paper when I got it. Probably from the 60s. I got a fistfull of these small ones at an auction.
1/4 - #1 MT
Yeah, I like drill bits...

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: drill bits Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think that cobalt is cobalt.

timcasbolt
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: drill bits Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I drilled holes for a living for 25 years. The best drills I've used came from Bosnia and Poland.

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: drill bits Reply to specific post Reply with quote

timcasbolt wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:26:21 10/13/21) I drilled holes for a living for 25 years. The best drills I've used came from Bosnia and Poland.

There are still some old style quality outfits over there. My admiration for Poland and the Balkan nations grows as I learn more about them.

560Dennis
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: drill bits Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Im old school Cleveland twist. Last a life time ,I m still sharpening them .
I find that hand drilling , with tears up the corners with my ability to push into the metal stability.
The nachi spindle drills work reall good hand drilling. Out broken off stainless studs . Also use center drill to locate in close corners

SHALER
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: drill bits Reply to specific post Reply with quote

tractor vet, I too have bought bits from them with good luck. For others interested, its actually Ohio Drill and Tool Co.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters