Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

J D 55 Semi-Mount Plow Broke

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kelly in tx
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:15 pm    Post subject: J D 55 Semi-Mount Plow Broke Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The ground was hard and dry and I put the John Deere semi-mounted four bottom, 16 inch bottoms, plow in deep. I broke the frame which is about 1 inch thick and about 5 inches wide. The tower & the part which attaches to the lift arms is way forward and out of position. I've tried bringing it back into position so it can be welded. I've used a 1/2 inch chain and ratchet chain tightener. I can't get it back into position. Suggestions?

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: J D 55 Semi-Mount Plow Broke Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Like Tim Allen says need more power to pull er back in line. How big of tractor did you have on it ?

caterpillar guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: J D 55 Semi-Mount Plow Broke Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Heat will be your friend here. And more pull power to pull it back inline.

Kelly in tx
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: J D 55 Semi-Mount Plow Broke Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had my new to me Oliver 1850 on the plow in first gear. I'm thinking of taking a hydraulic cylinder and a separate tractor, attaching the cylinder with a chain on each end and seeing if I can gently pull it together that way. Whaddya think?

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: J D 55 Semi-Mount Plow Broke Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think if you sprung it, you might as well start looking for another plow. That one will never plow right again.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: J D 55 Semi-Mount Plow Broke Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think you have stated an incorrect model for a JD semi-integral moldboard plow. JD model 55 plow was a drawn type not semi-integral plow. Popular semi-integral JD plow model was F145A or F145H.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: J D 55 Semi-Mount Plow Broke Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hydraulic cylinder might be just the ticket and some heat

Kelly in tx
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: J D 55 Semi-Mount Plow Broke Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was pulling the plow with an Oliver 1850 in first gear when it (the previously not noticed poorly welded front left corner) broke.

ss55
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: J D 55 Semi-Mount Plow Broke Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it is a 145/135 semi-mounted there are a lot of bolted connections. Can you loosen the bolts enough that the broken part can be realigned without forcing it? If not, you may have bent the broken part or bent some additional parts when the re-welded part let go. You could try finding a replacement for the broken part, but if other parts are also bent there is a very good chance that the replacement part will not fit.

As rrlund suggested, look for a replacement plow. Those 145's used to sell in the range between scrap value and $100 plus per bottom.

Plowing ground that is too dry might be counter productive, you just dry it out further. Try it again after some rain has soaked in to soften the soil and the top is dry enough to get some traction. In good soil your 90 hp tractor should pull that 4x16 plow at 5 MPH or more, is that 3rd or 4th gear on your tractor?

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters