Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

MF 245 block heater

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris S.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: MF 245 block heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I recently bought a 1979 MF 245 diesel. This is my first MF as well as my first diesel tractor. I have looked all around the motor for the heater cord and cannot find one. I have also tired to find info on a block heater from my shop manual. Can anyone tell me if a block heater on these tractors was an option? I own a diesel truck and it came with a block heater pre-installed. I just needed to provide the cord to it. Is this the same with these Massey Fergusons? Thanks for your help!

Jim.ME
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 245 block heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your tractor may not have one as it would have been an option.

Chris S.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 245 block heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking too
it may have been an option

MF#1
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 245 block heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Of all the Perkins diesels the 3 cylinder 152 cu. in. starts the best in cold weather. I have one of three, 2 245's and a 255 all bought new
and they all came with the block heater. Only when I was feeding cattle in cold weather did I use it, the 255 slightly more. You can get an
aftermarket one fairly easy. On the 245's ours are fitted to the driver's right side of the block. Since 1975 I've replaced the cord -once-,
it has over 5000 hours on it;-)

Chris S.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 245 block heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I live in south central PA and our winters are not to extreme here. The wind is the biggest problem at the house during the winter months because we are on a ridge. I'm sure I can get away without the heater but was curious as to if it had one and I was over looking it.

Do you know if the heater was not installed at the factory if it's as simple as removing a bolt or some sort of cover and screwing a heater in?

Thanks!

wore out
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 245 block heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have a look at the site linked below and see what options they may offer for your engine/tractor.
Zerostart

Phill Tibbetts
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: MF 245 block heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Right here:

https://phillipsandtemro.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/2018-Zerostart-Temro-Catalog.pdf

Chris S.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: MF 245 block heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks! I will take a look at the catalog

Chris S.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: MF 245 block heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks!

MF#1
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 245 block heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As far as I know the correct size heater can be installed by knocking out the freeze plug(block plug-whatever you want to call it) AFTER draining your antifreeze, put on a layer of your favorite gasket cement, push it in and tighten the supplied nut then plug the short electrical cable in, refill the antifreeze and should be good. I would say to let it sit for a day or so to let the cement dry then refill antifreeze if you can wait that long. NONE of our three ever leaked but some others have had issues. Good Luck!

Chris S.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 245 block heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks! I think I found the plug you are referring to. I found a circle on the left rear of the motor about halfway up the block and it has what looks like a recessed plug in it. I think for this winter I am going to see how the tractor starts without the heater and go from there. Thanks for your help!

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: MF 245 block heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Also note, O'Reillys are Zerostart dealers, that's where I got mine a couple years ago.

Chris S.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: MF 245 block heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks!

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters