Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

New Holland 479 Haybine - Need some help!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrogCreekRanch
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:46 am    Post subject: New Holland 479 Haybine - Need some help! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey folks,

Just starting cutting hay and wouldn't you know it, the top roller bearing on the PTO side is going out. I heard it making more noise than normal so I decided to stop and check things out.

I was just curious what the best steps are to replacing it? It doesn't seem overly complicated to get to, but I am sure it will require some heat and elbow grease.

Looks like the chains and sprocket need to come off, any tips on getting the actual bearing out? Do I need a puller or will it come out? How do you place a new one back in? Sorry, not too experienced on sealed bearings. I can't seem to find the proper steps to replace this bearing online other than a few tips and tricks.

lastcowboy32
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: New Holland 479 Haybine - Need some help! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Might... operative word being might...not be as bad as you think.

The chain will be straightforward to remove. Find the master link and undo it. Replace with a new master link.

The sprocket? Try a little heat and penetrating oil first. Take a look at its keyway, if it's one of those tapered jobs (which usually has a pulling tang on the end) remove the keyway first, otherwise, you'll fight the taper, and lose.

If it's a standard keyway, leave it there for your first attempts at removing the sprocket.

As far as the bearing goes, I can't tell, but it looks like those nuts that are visible hold a two piece split bearing retainer together. That would be the best case scenario. Remove the nuts, split the retainer and slide the outer part out of the way. You can then cut off the bearing with your favorite method.

You can use a die grinder to get down to the race and score the race... then split with a chisel, or just torch it off. Try to leave the inner half of the bearing retainer intact as much as possible, if you don't want to buy a new one.

However, price the bearing retainer... time is money. If it takes three hours to remove the bearing and save the retainer and ten minutes to remove the bearing and replace the retainer... then... you do the math for yourself, based on how much money you have vs how much time you have.

If those nuts don't hold a two piece split bearing retainer... then...well...it gets much harder.

lastcowboy32
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: New Holland 479 Haybine - Need some help! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Might... operative word being might...not be as bad as you think.

The chain will be straightforward to remove. Find the master link and undo it. Replace with a new master link.

The sprocket? Try a little heat and penetrating oil first. Take a look at its keyway, if it's one of those tapered jobs (which usually has a pulling tang on the end) remove the keyway first, otherwise, you'll fight the taper, and lose.

If it's a standard keyway, leave it there for your first attempts at removing the sprocket.

As far as the bearing goes, I can't tell, but it looks like those nuts that are visible hold a two piece split bearing retainer together. That would be the best case scenario. Remove the nuts, split the retainer and slide the outer part out of the way. You can then cut off the bearing with your favorite method.

You can use a die grinder to get down to the race and score the race... then split with a chisel, or just torch it off. Try to leave the inner half of the bearing retainer intact as much as possible, if you don't want to buy a new one.

However, price the bearing retainer... time is money. If it takes three hours to remove the bearing and save the retainer and ten minutes to remove the bearing and replace the retainer... then... you do the math for yourself, based on how much money you have vs how much time you have.

If those nuts don't hold a two piece split bearing retainer... then...well...it gets much harder.

lastcowboy32
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: New Holland 479 Haybine - Need some help! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I also see a hole in the sprocket at about three o'clock.

I wonder if there are any other ones? Maybe one or two other holes?

If there were... maybe you could get two or three pieces of threaded rod through there with a nut and washer on the back side...

The back end of the threaded rod(s) could be against the bearing retainer... then... you turn the nuts and push the sprocket off.

Man... if that was possible, what a time saver.

Cash4Toys
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New Holland 479 Haybine - Need some help! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Should be 4 holes in the sprocket. That
bearing from CNH is 472.00. Friend has one
with same issue. His rolls were all
rounded off corners, wasn't crimping very
good anymore, so he deemed it not worth
the cost and junked it out.

caterpillar guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New Holland 479 Haybine - Need some help! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Remove chain, pull sprocket and cut bearing off with torch then slide new bearing on and lock collar reinstall sprocket and put chain back on go to field. Sounds easy doesn't it. Cut both sides of the bearing then it will just knock off easy. With some caution you will not cut the shaft doing this. Cut cross ways of the shaft not with it. Have a hose and water on right there for fire prevention.

MJMJ
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New Holland 479 Haybine - Need some help! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Unless I looked at the parts wrong, the OEM bearing is $112. I know I replaced the bearing in mine for half that with one from NAPA.

:   
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
We sell tractor parts!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters